POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

true

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe this is a prominent factor and more of a reason than accessibility, imho. Distrust of the government is also a big factor why people like my mom and brother are not going to get it, even though Tennessee is overflowing with vaccine.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

proven is a strong word. this isn't new with covid, this was an existing issue that applies to covid vaccines as well, and is demonstrated through studies like the one I linked, as well as logically making sense in the same way that rural elders also require assistance in accessing things.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My parents got it, I guess my mom being a nurse affected their decision more than Trumpism

fl0at_ and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have family in Alaska. they were vaccinated months ago because the local native group was given a surplus of vaccine and they were wanting to use it on anyone in the area who wanted it. Supply met and exceeded demand. this is not the case in communities without access to supply.

I'm driving 2 hours on Sunday to get vaccinated. Many people do not have the ability to do that, it is a privilege I have because I own a car and don't work on weekends much, and can comfortably afford to do so. I got the appt due through using a personal broadband internet connection on a home computer. not everyone has these things.

6. NorrisAlan

What the hell is going on Virginia? Tennessee is begging people to come use up its surplus of vaccine.

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This has been studied. There is a large amount of distrust, but socioeconomic access checks more boxes.

Now, an argument can be made that dist is just one box, and socioeconomic is a lot of different boxes, but both are still perception. And the perceptions lean socioeconomic.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

More people, same number of vaccines I think.

9. NorrisAlan

That's dumb

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Less vaccine skepticism overall, as well, I would imagine.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

In the DMV, very little. We're all in on the conspiracies, and this is not one.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That is your State being a dumbass and running it very poorly.

I bet you will have low levels of all groups getting the shot compared to other states if your experience is the norm. I wouldn't do all of that to get it.

In Tennessee, if you want the shot you can easily get it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

My state apparently won't move on until EVERY PERSON in a group has had the shot... but that is dumb. Give an opportunity and then move on.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

How?

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Sounds rock solid

16. fl0at_

Questionnaires. You probably don't have the pleasure of using learning hospitals and doctors offices. But, were you to, you'd find that the medical students, residents, even some undergrads, are all running various studies, both in and out of the University the learning hospital is attached to.

And those questionnaires contain triggers, like, "If patient has missed vaccine, hand them form 12345." And the patient gets a form that says something like:

"In the last 6 months, you missed a necessary vaccination schedule (or medical visit, or tooth pulling, or whatever is being studied.) Can check why. Multiple choices are allowed (or not, depending on the study)"

[] Didn't have a ride
    [] Couldn't afford
    [] Don't want to
    [] Don't believe they work

Etc. And then hospitals and offices all over combine their results at the end, and they put weight on each answer. Using basic graph theory, where each answer gives weight to a point on a graph, the largest circle will be the one checked the most, correct? And the second largest circle the second most.

And then individual reasons can be identified, as well as classes of reasons.

And so based on that, we know that the reasons are socioeconomic, because that's the class of reasons that keeps being largest. And the only way to conclude that it isn't those, is to conclude that more people lie to anonymous pieces of paper than not lie. Which is just full blown paranoia if you think most people lie to paper.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not my area of expertise, so I wouldn't base your acceptance or rejection of the concept off of my ability to present it to you.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

So do the vast majority of people not go to these types of hospitals?

19. fl0at_

Your question doesn't make sense.

It's like asking "Do the vast majority of people not use my doctor?"

And the answer is ... yea, most people don't use your doctor. The person would be overworked. But also not everyone can afford him/her. And they can't get there. And they have someone else.

Can you ask your question in more of way that makes sense?

20. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

This reminds me of Cliff Clavin on Jeopardy. Who are 3 people who have never been in my Kitchen.