POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wonder what television channel in China or North Korea she would go on and share these thoughts?

justingroves likes this.
  2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You are just being brainwashed!

Seriously, I think she comes from an honest place which appreciates the American society which has given her freedom, which blinds her a bit to the contradictions in her observations. She knows a society unimaginably worse, so criticism of our society probably seems ungrateful or absurd. But, there's a wide, wide chasm between critique of American society and the most oppressive dictatorship in the world today.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ha. Only on the 8th will a couple posters tell a woman from N Korea, who attended an ivy league school, that she doesn't know what she's talking about in regards to N Korea, or the school she attended.
    Cracks me up

Indy, zehr27 and VolDad like this.
  4. Unimane

Everybody is allowed to be wrong, no matter their background. Don't you criticize Dr. Fauci despite having absolutely nothing in terms of knowledge on the topic in comparison to him?

No one is beyond being challenged and her observations aren't dogma by any means, for reasons I explained above. She has her own biases and faulty arguments, which can be pointed out by anyone. I can, for a fact, produce people who went to Ivy League schools which would characterize her comments here as, at best, hyperbolic if not outright bullshit.

But, no. Her arguments are ridiculous, even in the context she's trying to use them. No one is being sent to a gulag for incorrect thoughts, nor is anyone being "brainwashed", even if some English professor decides to describe her favorite author's work in a negative context.

I would be interested, though, to hear her thoughts on the Florida law, emphasis law, which dictates what teachers must teach and that it should be overly patriotic. I'm sure the Fox interview was just getting to that part.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont believe I tend to argue with people and their stories in regards to their own experiences. They have experienced what they are mentioning, whereas I havent, so it's not my place to tell them they are wrong.
    Comparing it to criticizing fauci for being all over the map at times as an expert in his field isn't a good comparison. A good comparison would be arguing with IP in regards to his Thailand superspreader experience, or your personal experience in central America. If it's based off one's own experiences, it's difficult to label it wrong, if one assumes it's an honest opinion based off his/her own dealings.

6. Unimane

No one's arguing her experience. The argument is her characterization. I don't think she's lying about anything she's experienced, but analysis is absolutely up for debate, especially if it's using her direct explanation as with the English professor. The Fauci example fits because you are not knowledgeable on the topic as Fauci is, but analyzing his actions, despite the fact I think you are incorrect in those, too. Again, no one is above critique.

If I were to say American society was going to fall apart in the way, say, had occurred in Peru during the Shining Path era for whatever reason, then I might have some more insight and info than you, but it doesn't make my word truth.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

1 less than would air her in the US.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

you can't seriously think an ivy league school is like North Korea. If anything, thinking this person, you, and Fox News get to tell a private institution how and what to teach is pretty out there. Any of those students can leave at any time. They are all their voluntarily, and indeed pay for the honor. So how is that like North Korea? It's pretty ridiculous to compare it to a place where people are only allowed a handful of possible haircuts and have to eat grass some years.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I didn't say I agreed with her North Korea comparison. I simply answered your question.

She could have made her point without the comparison and would be taken a lot more seriously; but then because she made the comparison was the only reason she was put on TV.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This feels like a similar situation to what Uni complains about with Nazi/Hitler comparisons. About how people jump straight to gas chambers.

Unimane likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. And I do not like the dynamics surrounding speech on campuses, fwiw.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Uni also has a copy of Mein Kampf

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He said Minecraft, dammit

fl0at_ likes this.
  14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ooooh.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just acquired a Soviet antique chess set, but did so through the free market. It was like my own private Vietnam.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What does it look like?

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

He’ll tell you when he gets a picture of it from the state.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

weighted carbonite plastic, broad bases and nice, art deco like shapes to the tops. metallic accents. crappy plastic case/board starting to show its age a little, but cool cyrillic writing in the inside felt. The set is big, unlike most you see for sale from that place and time which are a foot or less sized wooden boards.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

this one is 1970, after that they start looking pretty similar to western sets of the time to me.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The Art of the Deal. If I remember correctly.

VolDad likes this.