POLITICS The Biden Transition

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Nov 24, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

you know who sets their prices, right?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Something is terribly wrong with anyone that thinks 35% increase in volume is equal to 35% increase in revenue.

A 35% increase in volume in my gig would put us out of business, as it would make costs too high to manage.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Care to explain?

4. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Don't even need to change the situation. You have a 35% increase in volume and no staff increases-- and in many places, staff decreases. That extra volume is eaten up by overtime and poor management practices which can't retain employees.

It is very much poorly run, yes, but it's largely prohibited by congress and conservative-driven legislation that kneecaps the organization.

emainvol likes this.
  5. fl0at_

We shoot for about a 4.5% increase per year, budgeted.

A 35% increase in volume would cause us to need to hire 13 new employees to cover the increase. There is no way we could do that without also borrowing. Plus, we know that the 35% increase in volume is short lived, as in, not going to happen next year. Which means our 13 employees would have to be contractors.

And the thing about contractors is that they cost 3x more than normal employees. HR would never let us hire 13 "seasonal" regular employees, we knew we were going to have to terminate. But contractors are like hookers. We don't pay them to work, we pay them to leave afterwards.

So hiring the equivalent of 39 short term employees, and having to borrow to do it, for a short lived increase in 35% volume would be a pass. But USPS doesn't have the luxury of passing, so I'm saying we wouldn't either, and that would kill us.

I don't know of a single industry that has 35% excess capacity. But any that does, is poorly provisioned.

SetVol13 likes this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Indy said after the first knuckle it was enjoyable

SetVol13 likes this.
  7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I feel like I live in bizarro World sometimes. Business is up; oh no. Fedex and UPS increase revenue because business is up and shareholder profits are up; how awful for them. I will finish the year 160% of Quota; sucks for me.

I will hope that USPS business decreases 90% next year so they can thrive.

zehr27 likes this.
  8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Absolutely this. Hours cut, staff cuts, sorting machines dismantled, etc etc etc.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Have we been able to get every Trump family member and associate a pardon now with this latest batch? Hope we didn't miss anyone. It is Christmas.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

more to come including self.

justingroves likes this.
  11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I thought the USPS was trying to remove letter sorters due to the decline in letter mail to make more room for parcel sorters due to the massive increase in packages. Am I misremembering?

12. fl0at_

I worked for UPS long enough for them to give me a plaque and a retirement package.

My bro runs logistics for them. My oldest friend's brother is a driver. My oldest friend was a supervisor, until he went to a different company, doing shipping.

Me and UPS has met. Right now, UPS is in peak season. It's planned for every year, in budget.

USPS is a different animal.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I thought you had to work for 25+ years and be 55 to retire from UPS?

14. fl0at_

Letter sorting is approaching automated, with neural nets recognizing 99% of handwritten letters and numbers.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Perhaps y'all know my friend and former neighbor. Retired VP of Industrial Engineering.

16. fl0at_

No. You start a retirement package at 5 years.

17. fl0at_

There is a damn good chance, especially since it is IE.

18. fl0at_

When the Vols would get Music City bowl, we'd pull the UPS box. If you've been there, we've met.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This doesn't address my question. Delays in USPS is due to the exploding volume of parcel mail and not having the machines necessary to process them right? I thought the USPS plan was to reallocate space for machines to handle parcels and reduce the hardware processing letters as they volume has continued to decrease.

20. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2020