POLITICS The Biden Transition

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Unimane, Nov 24, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ok, then it should be $1400. So long as the language in the bills were an upgrade, and not an additional. Then all is fine.

2. fl0at_

As long as that was the language, I'm fine with it being $1400.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The Dems promised a 2k check if they won GA.

Not not the rest. They said if they won GA, they'd send a 2k check.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

fl0at_ likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/01/06/georgia-election-2000-stimulus-checks/

They weren't pushing 1,400. They were stumping on 2k checks after the 600 dollar one.

I'm not getting one either way, so I don't have a dog in the fight.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

All reporting I saw said increase the payment from 600 to 2000. It was after the president had signed the bill that it finally passed but the context was if the Senate approved, the checks that went out would be 2000.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

that push was before any stimulus, look at the date on this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/23/democrats-use-trump-2000-stimulus-checks-georgia-senate-race.html

the push was for 2000 dollars relief. that is what is being delivered with an additional 1400. this is a word game about "check" that is being played.

9. TennTradition

I think it became a slogan that didn’t make as much sense after the checks went out. In this same article they are saying they will do it now that they are no longer blocked by the Semate. But what got blocked by the senate before wasn’t a new 2000 check but an upgrade to 2000 checks. No money had been dispersed on Dec 28 when the House passed the 2000 bill. It was a bill passed saying the president was right it should be 2000 instead of 600.

IP likes this.
  10. fl0at_

So long as as it is consistent with what was passed on the House floor, I'm fine with it. I never read the bill.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Dems only ever promised $2K total.

12. fl0at_

Should file separately. Sucker.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My article is from the 6th of Jan.

Schumer told them on the 6th that he wanted to send the 2K checks out now that they had won GA.

The difference between 1400 and 2k doesn't bother me.

I hate the 15 dollar national wage increase. I don't see that being smart at all right now with what small businesses are currently and still going through.

14. TennTradition

I’m pretty close to you on this. I’m not sure stimulus checks to everyone are there answer. I’d rather see the money used to bump it up to 2000 go to additional small business and unemployment relief. My biggest concern is that most folks that don’t need it put the 1400 into the stock market amd that doesn’t seem like very efficient help.

15. fl0at_

There may be some thought that a lot of those businesses are sunk anyway. So impose the wage increase now, the ones that would just be lingering on, and may or may not make it, will get out, and the ones that can handle the increase survive on.

16. fl0at_

Unemployment relief, and those who need it, via application for funds, or something, with a verification of latest deposits and such, to ensure those that need it are getting it. Sort of like a PPP for people. But I wouldn't put it towards small business.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah but those that could spring up and replace them will have a harder time and the large corporations will be able to handle the increase easier due to scale, especially with the increase helping to take out their competition.

18. fl0at_

The vast majority of small businesses don't have a large corporation equivalent, and those that do, like the restaurant industry, won't have any easier time.

Yes, nobody is competing with Walmart, or Home Depot. But nobody was anyway.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think there's a lot of small mom and pop grocery stories and hardware store that still compete with walmart and home depot.

I know I shop with them, and this will only make it more expensive to do so, while walmart and home depot will just adapt more technology and spread the increase out of their sells.

20. TennTradition

Seems like you are taking a survival of the fittest with small businesses at this point.

Your thought is that many are too far gone and it’s good money after bad?