The Booze Thread (formerly the Manhattan)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by reVOLt, Sep 23, 2013.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Got one of those Yeti coozies for Christmas. Pretty cool, but I'm always a bit surprised when the can runs out. It stays cold all the way through the last drop and the weight of the coozie makes it stay heavy even when empty.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Dad found a bottle of Pappy 12 and 15. Gonna give them a try when I head over on New Years.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Pappy Van Winkle? That stuff would sell for some good money.

4. fl0at_

Good money was paid for it. Liquor stores have learned they can sell it for whatever price they want, and people will buy it.

5. JayVols

Some of it sells for really big money. The head coach I worked for drank up over what would be close to 100 Gs today...

6. fl0at_

Been trying different wheated bourbons. Larcency was pretty good, for only $25 a bottle.

Next up is going to be W. L. Weller

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I had about 1/3 of a bottle of the 23 that I shared with three friends for NYE. It was smooth and smokey and just needed drinking. I still prefer the 20, and it isn't worth a gajillion dollars--I'm told it $1,500 a bottle right now if you can find it--but it really is better than everything else.

I had some EH Taylor, a really find whisky, right behind it, and it was rough in comparison.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Got a bottle of Eagle Rare for Christmas. It's pretty smooth.

9. JayVols

I'm a teacher. $1500 is good money.

10. fl0at_

Small store down here had 23 running for $999.99, and 20 for $799.99

11. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I'd have to kick my own ass if Inspent $1500 on a bottle of whiskey....

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Ummm, Jim Beam works just fine for me, I can get 50 bottles for that.

13. JayVols

Me too.

14. cotton

1. When it was given to me a couple of years ago before the humongous whisky bubble, it was probably more like $300 retail.

2. I don't buy $300 whisky, either. I do, however happen to have nice friends who occasionally do nice things for me.

Are you my friend, Jay?

Are you?

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

When I bought my 25 yo MacAllan it was like $200 (maybe $250) for the bottle and I thought it was all the money in the world... My high end Ardbeg bottles were gifts... No way I'd be able to justify spending that kind of money on liquor... Like cotton, I'm fortunate to have a few very generous friends!

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't think I've ever spent over $50 for any bottle of liquor and that includes 1.75 liter bottles of knobb creek at Costco.

17. cotton

I like Basil Hayden, which is about that, and a liter of Jack is in that range as well, so I'd say I'm about a $50 drinker most of the time.

I will have to say that my target wine price is slowly but steadily growing into the same general range, which is in some ways unfortunate.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I buy wine in the $8-$14 range. If I go to a nice restaurant I certainly break that barrier, but those mark ups are insane. highest i'll go for even a nice occasion at home is $25-$30. I just can't bring myself to spend more than that. I dont' find it worthwhile. of course, i'm not sure my palate is that great either.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Our wine price range has steadily grown over the last few years, which is unfortunate when considering how quickly a bottle goes once opened. Still, as a palate develops the more complex and typically costlier wines become more desirable (at least in my experience).

20. cotton

I like barbaresco and barolo, and it's damned near impossible to find anything drinkable under $40, and the expense of my cab and chard tastes just keep creeping upward. Riesling is generally really high value, IMO, so there is that, I guess.