The Booze Thread (formerly the Manhattan)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by reVOLt, Sep 23, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, it's odd, but I like it.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Thank you to the mod who removed the bump a daisy.... I spent three hours watching that thang last night until my battery ran out...

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If be shocked if it's peatier than an Aged Talisker. You can feel the peat in a 25 yr Talisker.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Better than Macallan? I ain't buyin it.

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Like "peat monsters" give Suntory a go, recently unseating Scotland for world's finest, won't disappoint

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

To me, Talisker is more smokey than peaty, jmo

7. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

If ocean taste appeals and if not already give Bowmore and Bruichladdich a try

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

More an Aberlour, The Balvenie and Macallan with the occasional Oban fan

9. Savage Orange

Get a bottle (if you can even find one!) and tell me I'm wrong. I had a fifth of 25yo Macallan and the Ardbeg was noticeably better for what I like in a Scotch. Tallisker is OK but like I said... For me, Ardbeg or GTFO.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Which Ardbeg is your favorite? As mentioned before, I love their Uigeadail and always try to keep a bottle in the cabinet. Just curious as to your favorite.

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Macallan 25? Wow! Curious, which Ardbeg did you compare?

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Mac 25 in my pantry now. If be surprised if I liked something better.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, it's a gem, worthy of special occasions, have the Fine Oak 15 and the 18 for most others

14. Savage Orange

A good friend gifted me a bottle of 21yo for my daughters birth and I only (ONLY!!) break it out for the most special occasions but I did pour some of both that and the Mac 25 just to compare. Can't go wrong either way but I prefer the Ardbeg. I normally drink the 10yo but I also have a bottle of Auriverdes and another gifted bottle of the 1977.

15. Savage Orange

When I bought my bottle of Macallan 25 it only cost $250.00... Prices have sure gone up!!

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

So an Ardbeg 10 yr noticeably better than Maccallan 25? Hmm. People view complexity and taste differently. Like they say? Different strokes ...

17. Savage Orange

Of course, that was the mid 90's when I bought it. My first "real" job and as a single guy, I spent a good chunk of my first paycheck on that bottle and two boxes each of Partagas 150's (corona gorda) and Limited Reserve lonsdales... God, I would give my next paycheck to have those cigars back!

18. Savage Orange

Negative. 21 yo Arbeg noticeably better than 25yo Macallan. The 10yo is for casual drinking.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

It was delicious! The smoky whisky flavor came through beautifully.

[​IMG]

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I did a couple of shots of Jack Daniels Single Barrel at my teetotalling in-laws Christmas day. They do employee relations seminar type deals, and Jack Daniels is a repeat client. The folks from Jack Daniels always bring the best gifts. Having said that, it tasted like regular blended black label Jack to me.