The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

How can you be a fan of 90s country and not his? Alan Jackson is clearly my all-time favorite. He has TONS of hits:

Gone Country
    Midnight In Montgomery (an all time favorite)
    Chasin That Neon Rainbow
    I'll Try
    Wanted
    Home
    Here In The Real World
    Someday
    Gone Crazy
    Little Man
    Little Bitty
    You Can't Give Up On Love
    Job Description
    Chattahoochie
    Don't Rock The Jukebox
    Dallas
    Right On The Money
    Everything I Love
    Drive
    I'd Love You All Over Again
    Thank God For The Radio
    -The entire covers album was solid too

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Chattahoochie, Gone Country, and Don't Rock the Jukebox are the ones that stick out to me. i don't think he a terrible artist, and I would take him in a heartbeat over the likes of today, but his stuff doesn't stick out to me like Garth, George, Brooks and Dunn, etc.... When I said he is not that good, I meant in comparison to the other stars of the 90's.

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

outside of Garth and George Strait, no one had more staying power or more hits. He's also stayed truer to country than anyone not named George Strait. And, he wins over George Strait because he's written most of his own music and has written several #1s and other hits for other artists, both male and female. Not calling you out, but do you know all those songs I've listed? If not, you should give them a listen. Alan Jackson is the definition of country music troubadour of our generation imo.

4. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Just stop while you're behind and move on to your next argument.

Murder on Music Row (w/ strait) ftw. Honorable mention to dallas. So many good ones.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I have went down in flames of defeat today gentleman. I will humbly bow out of the Alan Jackson discussion.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Chasin that neon rainbow for the win. One of my favorite songs of all time.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Gone Country would be in my top 30 if I had a list most likely fwiw.

8. hallowed_hill

vfb kicks back in total satisfaction.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Macon didn't even put up a fight! Are you changing your mind or just realizing you're an anomaly for not liking him?

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well I wouldn't say I dislike him, but I really don't like any of the ones mentioned that much. The only George I know is Jones. I do like Vince Gill, a true musician. Today's country evolved from the 90's which was already off the mark. I'm strictly old school with music, so just ignore me, not going to argue, refuse to consider any other ideas no matter how well presented, mind closed.

11. hallowed_hill

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Simply an anomaly. I just saw he was popular amongst the masses so I backed down. He is nowhere near my favorite though.

Eating my crow

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Bill, I have a little crow to eat today. I have found myself listening to several Alan Jackson songs this week, and at first it didn't even cross my mind what I was doing. It appears that I like more of his songs than I first gave him credit for. Overlook my rant on him.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Heard feed Jake on the road for the first time in ages today. "if you get your ear pierced some will call you gay but if you drive a pickup they'll say no he must be straight " is one of the greatest lyrics ever written.

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

All is forgiven...

16. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

[video=youtube;BQMI7TksYo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BQMI7TksYo0[/video]

Country music will die a little the day George is gone.

17. 7thgroupvolfan

[video=youtube;SWqbazi67Uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SWqbazi67Uw[/video]

18. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

It's about time for another Jamey Johnson album.

19. 7thgroupvolfan

It's time for some Waylon Jennings..[video=youtube;NvlE14cM-zk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NvlE14cM-zk[/video]

20. 7thgroupvolfan

For those who have never seen this before. A very good tribute to Buck Owens at his funeral by Dwight.[video=youtube;sMBabhl6mZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sMBabhl6mZY[/video]