The Country Music Thread, 8th Style...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanbill, Sep 1, 2011.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

rb, you familiar with Jim and Jesse? They were originally from up in southwest Virginia. They were my kinfolk.

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Absolutely, I am fb friends with Jessie McReynolds, Jim passed last year. They used to play on local radio and then TV shows.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

They are and were my Grandmother's first cousins. Grew up listening to many of their records playing at her house. I only met them once as a young kid, but I always heard stories how down to earth and just good people they were.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The 90s were an amazing run for country. There are still great artists out there - but the infusion of screaming/squaking women or "gotta mention something country so I am country" guys is really becoming an annoying trend. I liked Carrie Underwood's stuff early, but man is she ever annoying these days. I used to have issues with Randy Travis because the guy can be nasaly - but now, I appreciate him, simply because so many country artists suck so hard right now. I really like some of Zach Brown Band's stuff...but I'm afraid their style might grow stale from a guitar-style standpoint.

I like the fact Keith Whitley is getting some talk...just from his roots, his history in bluegrass/country, and the music he delivered....special man.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I really like zbb. Hope they stick around for quite a while. Stuff out there these days isnt all terrible, but there just isnt near as much quality as the 90's. I get tired of the 'real country' debate. Are brantley gilbert, justin moore, luke bryan, etc. country? I think so. But, for the most part, their music sucks.

6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm a big Zac Brown Band fan, as well as Miranda Lambert. A lot of the new country stuff seems to force twang and that annoys me, but it's half and half I guess nowadays for what is "country". I think more than the voices or sounds, it's the lyrics. The lyrics are just stupid. As TennTradition talked about, I can't stand it when someone has to mention something country or a country legend to make their song country.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The Lacs with Big and Rich

[video=youtube;UsOfdvS98zU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsOfdvS98zU[/video]

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am a Miranda fan as well.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;PoQVkYQ0Ado]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoQVkYQ0Ado[/video]

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;98D8Ub6CPmg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98D8Ub6CPmg[/video]

Tim McGraw's best song. Not as well known as some of the others.

11. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

90's country is outstanding in my book. If any of you have Pandora, type in the 90's country radio, and I swear to you guys that you will listen all day. Hardly ever does a bad song come on. An artist I really like is John Anderson with Seminole Wind and Straight Tequila Night.

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Tracy Lawrence has some good songs. Perhaps his favorite of mine is Time Marches On. I also like a lot of Travis Tritt's stuff. His remake of Take It Easy out does the Eagles version in my book. Toby Keith was golden in the 90's early 2000's but he sucks so bad now.

13. hallowed_hill

Agree. My pandora is blackhawk radio and I added robert earl keen and jamey johnson to give me some good tx country and the best of modern stuff. So good.

14. hallowed_hill

My fav mcgraw song is 'kristofferson.'

15. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I've used "Sammy Kershaw" and 90s country for my Pandora stations and both work excellent. Tim McGraw's best song is either " Where The Green Grass Grows" or "Just to See You Smile". The beat makes you delusional to how sad it actually is. While I like a lot of Travis Tritt's stuff and his cover of "Take It Easy" is really good, it doesn't come close to the Eagles imo, iyam, tifwiw, v4l, gbo.

16. Oldvol75

[video=youtube;Tp5Rdb9ncfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5Rdb9ncfM[/video]

Doesn't get better than this!

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I like ZBB and Miranda too.

When you have to mention tractors and beer to be country, you're trying way too hard.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ashley Monroe is the new Alison Krause imo iyam jmo

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I may be 31 years old, but I still hang onto a couple of celebrity crushes. Ashley Monroe is definitely one of them.

20. Oldvol75

[video=youtube;x8A9Y1Dq_cQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8A9Y1Dq_cQ[/video]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012