The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's why a few shit cops make such a big difference. I have no doubt in my mind that most are good, but the bad ones are [uck fay]ing awful. I have had run ins with police, I don't care for most of them and looking back, being able to tell them to [uck fay] off and leave and not get tased/shot/arrested may be what "white privilege" is to me.

SetVol13 likes this.
  2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Wait, what?

What are we basing these thoughts of “90%” of cops are bad? Or “50%”?

That seems like gigantic chunks of ground to be giving up....and based on what, exactly?

3. Tenacious D

Agreed.

Bad cops make the news because they are anomalous, and because when they eventually show their true colors it’s often in tragically spectacular fashion.

justingroves likes this.
  4. Tenacious D

You’ve got recent examples of what happens when a good cop stands up to departmental sexism / racism in the Knoxville area.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It's the big blue wall of silence. If you know something, and don't say something, you're complicit.

VolDad likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or does it take a tragically spectacular display to raise attention beyond the big blue wall of silence? Nobody goes to sleep a by the book keeper of the peace and wakes up planting evidence or shooting unarmed suspects.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yesterday evening, it was widely reported via social media from NYC police that three officers were poisoned by milkshake at a NYC Shake Shack. This was met immediately with equal parts outrage and skepticism. Well, at 4 AM they walked it back and said upon investigation, "there was no criminality." I would like to know a hell of a lot more. They reported "intentionally poisoned" yesterday. What were the facts that led to them reporting "intentionally poisoned?" It was stated all 3 went to the hospital. For what? They're all out now and fully recovered. Was it precautionary? How did all 3 get simultaneously poisoned? Were they sharing a milk shake? Did they all drink their milk shakes at the same time? Pictures they posted showed that they had not fully consumed the milk shake. Their physical evidence was a bottle of milk shake machine cleaner (a low concentration bleach mixture) found near the machine... Okay? Isn't that to be expected? It literally goes through the machine to clean it more than once a day.

I think it is far more likely that these guys either had a panic after feeling like they were being eyeballed. If you are unaware, there is a whole genre of these kinds of stories in recent years. Like an officer in Indiana who claimed someone took a bite of his burger but upon a police investigation (!) and a review of surveillance tapes, it turned out he had just forgotten that he did in fact take an initial bite of his burger. Or the cop who wrote "pig" on his own coffee cup and claimed a worker had done it as a slur to him-- actually, that one has happened multiple times.

The point is, I want to know everything that led to them directly reporting "intentionally poisoned" during prime time, and then sheepishly walking it back early in the morning. Lots of people will be saying "well, what about those poor cops that were poisoned by Shake Shack workers. Remember that?" and this correction/walk back will never get the same traction.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Left and far right are getting what they want. Anarchy and a race war. Add in firestoking media and here we are. Well done.
    Damn Wuhan has proven to be quite the momentum changer.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think anyone wants a race war, except for the absolute tiny fringes. We can't just keep on the same way just because it is comfortable for you and me. We need blind justice and a system we can trust. One with checks and accountability.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Kind of surprised this hasn't gained more traction in the media yet.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

its always a tiny %. Its also a tiny % of police who are a problem. Its also a large amount of politicians who are a problem and nearly 100% of media who are a problem and thrive off chaos, especially when people are stuck at home and get sucked into watching it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I read a passing comment about it yesterday, and then discovered there are a dozen examples in the last 2 years, with 4 in the last few weeks. Two in California. Who commits suicide outdoors publicly? Hanging from a tree? I am sure it has happened, but it seems like a lot of work and against the grain of how these things usually go. And the families don't buy it at all.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I saw yesterday there was one in the Houston area. We are progressing and regressing all at once.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's almost like humans suck

17. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Actually probably a little more common than you think. We had an employee commit suicide by hanging himself from a tree 2 months ago. He was a white guy too, he never gave the slightest hint that he was suicidal. It sucked and I'm always quick to tell people if you have anything you care to talk about my door is open.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

One of the biggest problems with these situations, for me, is when people try to lump them all together into one big collective case. If your stance on a case has the merit to be believed and agreed with, it should be able to stand on it's own. That's how I felt with the George Floyd case. Most normal, rational people looked at that situation and said "yeah, that really shouldn't have happened that way." They didn't need to bring up Trayvon Martin or Breonna Taylor to add merit to their stance. They brought up Eric Garner due to the similarities, but it wasn't a necessary component of proving the merit of their stance on Floyd's death.

Then I see this Trevor Noah video going around about the Rayshard Brooks case, and he references like, 5 other cases. That alone tells me he isn't as confident in his stance on this one. If he was, he wouldn't need to reference the others.

I just don't buy that every single time a black man is killed by someone, it's the result of racist malice towards that person. Sometimes it is, and other times it isn't, and the only way to know the difference is to look at and analyze each case individually. Lumping them all together and trying to act like they're all the same does no good for anyone.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Listing to Joe Rogan while doing a. Wood working project for my wife.

Next on BLM list is science as being racist and they're wanting to shut down STEM.

I'm pretty sure BLM is a Trojan movement that Marxist have took over.