The Fashion Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Black imo

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Lawyer or funeral home operator

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I wore slacks and a coordinating blazer to the job interview for my last job. It was with a small government contractor. After I started, a coworker told me the owner had made several comments afterward about not wearing a suit. It probably didn't help that another guy who worked there had shown them pics of me from facebook with long hair and beard that reached my chest.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I just prefer it. I also read an article a while back saying that black suits were replacing navy in popularity. That's my excuse.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No, for several reasons. NB matches every shade of brown, and there's a lot more options for both shoes and belts in brown. There's virtually no color shirt that won't go with NB. If you don't want to go full suit a NB blazer is literally the most versatile piece of clothing there is. There's a reason George Steinbrenner wore a blue blazer every day. It's the most classic look there is.

Save the black for funerals and weddings, though in the South no way in hell in wearing black to a summer wedding.

Also, no pleats. No cuffs. And make sure the break is either slight or none. You're not wearing sweat pants. And for the love of god nobody gives a shit about your socks. You're wearing a suit, master that before you accessorize.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Other way around.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Oh, and v-neck under shirts only.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Can agree with all except this. I like my pants cuffed.

As for suit rankings -

1. Brooks Brothers - if you catch them on sale you can get really good suits that will last you for many years if you take care of them.

2. Jos A Banks - Not top tier, but will do. IMO, the run out a tab bit faster. They aren't as expensive, but still look good.

3. Men's Warehouse - Pretty neck in neck with JOS to me, but to each their own.

4. JC Penny's/Sears - I've never had good luck with these and really don't buy them now. They wear out very fast.

I have never been in John H Daniel though. Always have it on my want to do list, just never have.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Dooz, Just so you know, you never get to dress me. I do agree with the navy blazer though. If you are only going to own one, it should be navy.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I own a navy one and a brown/black one. Debate every now and then to get a solid black one too.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I almost bought a brown corduroy blazer back before Christmas, but then I realized how little I needed it and how silly I might wind up looking.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Navy is the right call if only one suit, but grey is also flexible. And why not keep a bow tie or two? I get compliments most every time I wear one.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Didn't know I clicked on the men's fashion thread.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Really depends on the culture. I interviewed with Apple a long time ago and got a lot of comments about wearing a suit that basically implied I was uptight. Yet for financial positions you'd be run out of the building for wearing even a cheap suit. Generally speaking it's better to error on the side of wearing a suit, but if he guys interviewing you are in jeans and flip flops it can make you seem out of place.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Do they not have a formal section at Hot Topix?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have two suits. One navy and the other gray pinstripe. I'm not interesting enough to wear a bow tie.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you wear a suit at the job? Did anyone else? Or was this just an expectation for the interview?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm so ****ed if I'm supposed to be thinking about all of this. I just wear clothes until they're worn out.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm in this boat.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Seems like every time I wear a suit, it gets my wife hot and bothered.