The Final Frontier: All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think Enterprise got off to a bad start. They had something going at the end.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The issue is basic ecology and biology: superfecundity. It took an Okampa or whatever like 3 years to reach sexual maturity. According to Kess, they could only reproduce in a narrow unspecified window of time from there. All told, they were only supposed to live 10 or 12 years anyway. And they only had one kid at a time most of the time, like humans. There is no way species like that could survive. Every organism on Earth is capable of producing far more offspring than could survive, so as to be able to grow the population or recover from catastrophes.

I think I did the math once while proving this point to a friend of mine. Okampas couldn't exist.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I only have seen the first and maybe second season of Enterprise. I couldn't find it airing anywhere when it was released because they were moronic and didn't syndicate it.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

DS9's last couple of seasons were spectacular. I can't stand the baseball episodes or the alternate universe episodes (Kira's character in those is just terrible), but the storyline is superior to any other trek series.

As an aside. . . why is baseball the only sport from today that trek care about given the fact the last game had like 500 people attend? If it was that unpopular isn't it highly unlikely like half of star fleet would be into it? No football, basketball or soccer? No one watches any movies at all, or reads novels, or enjoys music from anything, but the 30s or before. classical and jazz apparently widely popular, but we've completely forgotten about the beatles or elvis? Stupid crime novels are incredibly popular as are fictional lounge singers from the 30s, but nothing after that?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's how I feel as well.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This is well put. I'd add that you have to continue to like the character. It was okay for a season or so, but it eventually got old.

7. NorrisAlan

I think it was just to give the viewers in the 20th/21st century some grounding. And baseball has a slowness and laziness about it that makes it more likely to survive as a gimmicky niche sport. I mean, when you have games like Perisses Squares, who needs football?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Whoa, get your facts straight. Most of star fleet doesn't even know what baseball is. That vulcan captain took it up and put together a team literally just to get under Sisko's skin. That Cassidy's brother was also into baseball and put together a team way out in deep space was also a bizarre coincidence. Literally no other characters but the Siskso knew what baseball even was.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the lack of people knowing anything about movies or tv really gets to me. absolutely no way none of that survives and people don't care about it. I think it represents the elitism of the writers. A bunch of nerds who probably pat themselves on the back for not watching tv even though they write for a tv show.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This was discussed each time I watched the early episodes of the show with my wife (dating at the time).

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, Dr. McCoy played football at Ole Miss, I believe. That was mentioned at some point.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Wesley crusher's father taught him the game and Wesley was a big fan. for a unknown game an awful lot of people know the rules and play it.

13. NorrisAlan

Dammit, Jim. I'm a doctor, not halfback.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hmm, you're right. So add the Crushers. But still, the vast majority had no idea.

Whereas everyone played musical instruments identical to today's. Go back and look how much instruments change over time. What a joke!

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I googled it and find no reference. he went to medical school at ole miss.

16. NorrisAlan

I will say this, Star Trek V was one of two movies I almost got up and walked out in the middle of it. And I love me some Star Trek.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup, but no one plays a guitar or anything amplified.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not saying musical instruments will remain without innovation or change, but I do wonder at how having more global access to different types of music might stagnate changes in instruments and such.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

terrible movie.

my ranking of the star trek movies:
    1. wrath of khan
    2. first contact
    3. undiscovered country
    4. star trek 2009
    5. voyage home
    6. search for spock (actually thought about putting it higher. some great scenes)
    7. into darkness
    8. generations
    9. The Motion Picture
    10. final frontier
    11. Insurrection
    12. Nemesis

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I tried watching it again a few months back. It's bad.