The Final Frontier: All Things Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Aug 19, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

watch the motion picture. god has that aged horribly. not that it is was that great in the first place.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

OOh, movie rankings.

1) Wrath of Khan
    2) Voyage Home
    3) First Contact
    4) Generations
    5) Search for Spock
    6) ST:Reboot
    7) Undiscovered Country
    8) Motion Picture
    9) Nemesis
    10) Into Darkness
    11) Insurrection
    12) Final Frontier

Insurrection was another one that was a really, really bad movie. I mean bad.

I think the Motion Picture gets a bad rap because of the over use of special effects and its pace. But watching it now, I enjoy it.

The JJ Abrams reboot was interesting, and the beginning of the movie is top notch. Kirk's birth and his father's death were just great movie making. And I kept waiting for them to fix the time line, but when they didn't, I sat and was staring around going "wtf just happened?"

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I did. V came on afterward or maybe it was the second after. Seems like whatever channel it was had TMP, II, and V playing on a loop all weekend. It was interesting to see how much of TMP got recycled into II.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

motion picture is really really slow. the whole thing with the alien taking over the crew member is just boring and pointless. I can't see having generations that high. it's an ok movie at best.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

1. Wrath of Khan
    2. Undiscovered Country
    3. Star Trek
    4. Into Darkness
    5. First Contact
    6. Generations
    7. Voyage Home
    8. Search for Spock
    9. Nemesis
    10. Insurrection
    11. The Motion Picture
    12. The Final Frontier

The best thing about The Undiscovered Country is it is a big part of the overall continuity bridging into TNG. Otherwise, the characters were a bit silly at times in the limited action roles.

The Motion Picture is just bad. Those doggedly long special effects sequences are part of the movie. There's no changing it.

I like the reboot movies. I can find less fault with these than those further down the list. That being said, I've only seen Into Darkness once in the theater, and everything else I've seen multiple times.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was pretty well molded by then. Shows like Emergency! molded me.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I agree with your top 3. I'd order it a little differently, but the core is there.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I was a Quincy guy.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It may be noncanon from a book.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd flip 2 and 3, and then 10 and 11. Otherwise, samesies.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

NERD ALERT!!!

[​IMG]

:)

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I am in agreement.

In addition, Moore took off the last season of ds9 like he later did with bsg.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm surprised to see undiscovered country get that high reviews from others. I always felt I was in a minority.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ezri was pretty annoying.

15. OrangeEmpire

Insurrection would have been a perfect season finale tv episode.

Come on now, Miss Piggy and old Darth Vader in the Motion Picture is worth a high rating.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

insurrection was boring and pointless. nemesis though is completely unwatchable.

17. OrangeEmpire

Personally, I love the Battle of Bassen Rift.

It took 40 years, but finally, the damn ships flipped dorsal and ventral during a battle when the shields were weakening.

That and it reminds me of Dina Meyer showing her boobies in Starship Troopers. :clap:

18. OrangeEmpire

One of my favorite movie scenes

[video=youtube;_k9Ukm9LaWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9Ukm9LaWg[/video]

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've always liked the "my god bones what have i done? you did what you had to do, what you always do, turn death into a fighting chance to live." also the kobayashi maru scene in the genesis cave is pretty entertaining. that's always been one of my favorite trek movies. god too bad of a rap IMO. I freely admit I love me some james t kirk overacting.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Watching Insurrection, I felt like I was watching something they wrote for the series, ran out of time, and just dusted it off to make a movie. I enjoyed it, but it's the smallest, most insignificant story of all the movies.