The Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Sep 23, 2011.

1. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Went rabbit hunting this morning, I killed two big ole rabbits. Me and a couple buddies are taking the dogs out again tomorrow morning. Maybe we'll limit out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ice in my seat and snot freezing on my face. Why do I deer hunt?

3. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

[​IMG]

You hunt to see stuff like this!

4. punkcat

punkcat Member

Beautiful morning, cold, damp, no breeze and didn't see shit!!!!!!!!!

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Me too.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I cooked the loins out of one of my meat does last night au poivre. It was a really good piece of meat out of a carefully selected deer, but that is probably the best way I have ever had venison prepared.

7. cotton

Due to the bizarre variances in state hunting laws, I took my Hunter's Safety and Education course this weekend. The students consisted of me, a guy who I suspect is a serial killer, and 30 ten year olds. I'm not sure I understand what that was supposed to accomplish, and I'm not sure I've ever spent 10 hours doing anything less useful, but I passed.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Turkey season starts two weekends from now. I'm excited

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have an unhealthy obsession with these two bucks where I hunt.

big deer.jpg

10. punkcat

punkcat Member

I took mine in Durango Colorado before an elk hunt. I couldn't find my Tenn. one. The gentlemen that taught mine were old time Colorado hunters and it was a blast. Just one of those things you gotta have.

11. punkcat

punkcat Member

The weather's too warm. I hope they don't bust up before the next few weeks. I saw two big toms strutting this morning with about 6 hens.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Saw 15 in a field of mine adjacent to my 40 acres of hills about 4 hours ago.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I haven't had any strutters yet. I've still got a bunch of young birds hanging in groups of 8 to 10.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

There are around ten to twelve that hang out in either my side yard or the woods across the street. I have seen as many as eight deer in my yard at the same time, at least two bucks, one of which is a 12 point or more.

15. cotton

I haven't had to have one until now. In Kentucky, anyone born after 1/1/75 is required to have one. That doesn't actually seem to be enforced, but I am exempt by virtue of my oldness. It wasn't required to hunt on Indian land in New Mexico, and it wasn't required in Alaska. I am going to Colorado this fall, and you must present a Hunter's Ed card before they will issue a license, which is exactly what inspired me to spend my weekend in middle school.

It is done, so that is something.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;Yp88qOHvc6w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp88qOHvc6w&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This is awesome

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Last Sunday morning, the little man wouldn't sleep. So, at 5:30 am, the wife asked me to get up with him. The only thing I could think of to get him to sleep was driving around because the carseat puts him to sleep.

I drove to where I turkey hunt to listen for gobbles. He was asleep in his carseat so I set him beside me in an old barn. Around 6:30 or so, I heard some fly down from roost. It was two toms and they got about 20 feet from the barn we were in. One gobbled, and the little man started grinning. Then the other gobbled and he broke out in a full blown belly laugh. It scared the turkeys off but I was rolling.

So, at 3 months, he's already been busted by turkeys.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just as long as you keep him away from the Wild Turkey, jg. Needs to be at least 6 months for that stuff.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Once the teething really sets in, all bets are off

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I saw a Redtailed Hawk get after about 10 Turkey one day while deer hunting, it was awesome!