The hype train

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 19, 2016.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You said value is shown in draft stock. So there you go.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So you buy Saban's horsecrap coachspeak? When did he tell the truth?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

both tackles were drafted significantly higher than their RB counterparts. and the simple fact that an idiot like manziel was drafted in the first round tells you QBs are far more valued on average than RBs.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think he could have trotted out a decent number of qbs last year and won. is that what you are talking about?

5. RockyHill

Wtf are you talking about? We are talking about value to a college team. You are the only member of this board willing to advance the argument that draft stock is a perfect measurement of a player's value to their college team.

I mean that really is like 1st grade, sucking your thumb and crapping in the urinal level stupid.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

where did I say it's a perfect measurement? surely it means a hell of a lot more than nothing when the people at the highest level playing the same game value one position SIGNIFICANTLY more than another.

all you can do is throw insults around. no facts. no analysis.

7. RockyHill

Seriously? Sorry I used "perfect". My argument stands.

8. RockyHill

This isn't hard. Draft stock can't be used to measure a player's value IN COLLEGE. I really don't feel the need to comb through the past 10 drafts to show you because it is fairly self evident.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the only way you could argue that would be to argue that the games are completely different which is ridiculous. the only position that doesn't necessarily translate to the nfl is qb and that's because running qbs are far more successful in college than the nfl. sure you get the occasional Michael sam who had a great college career, but it didn't translate to the pros or guys with character issues, but by and large first team all-sec players are also high draft picks in the nfl.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No way. His awful QB and OC handed Oh St a title. Decent QB play and play calling wins him another.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree. i'm simply suggesting getting decent qb play isn't necessarily difficult.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

"Challenge accepted"

-SEC

13. RockyHill

Maybe you forgot the original argument. You said Cam Robinson is more valuable to Bama than Hurd is to UT. You justified this with the whole draft stock thing. We are talking about their value to their respective teams, not their value to an NFL team. You made the argument those two things are the same, which is a remarkably terrible argument, but nonetheless different from the original one.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm using the example of nfl value to show evidence that position is far more valuable than rb in the game of football. maybe you should try some evidence and arguments of your own. for instance, how about an argument as to why rbs are far more valuable in college than they are in the nfl? you know similar to what bpv did.

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

How many OL have won the Heisman?

Boom.

Not serious.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it is strange to think about how bad qb play has been in the sec for the past 3 or 4 years.

17. RockyHill

I'm not making the argument that RB's are more valuable in college than the NFL. I'm simply making the argument that Jalen Hurd is more valuable to TN than Cam Robinson is to Bama. I believe that for a number of reasons, one of them being that UT has a terrible scheme, a scheme so bad that a complete badass of a running back can still only manage 4.7 ypc! Do you realize how mediocre 4.7 is in college football? Contrast that with Bama, who last year would have replaced Robinson with a blue chip recruit had he not been there, and while production wouldn't have been the same, it doesn't materially change their team.

What you don't seem to get is that other personnel and scheme are a lot more important in this conversation than draft stock. Yes, Droski, I'm aware that LT's are in much higher demand than RB's in the NFL now. That doesn't have a damn thing to do with this debate though.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Damn. That's IP level crazy.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Jesus, dude.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. Peyton Manning is the most valuable player on any team he plays on, but if Tom Brady is his backup, his value diminishes significantly. It's common sense.