The Indy Talks To Himself (NBA) Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Game 4 of the NBA Finals doesn't matter?

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Exactly man. Jordan coulld go 3-18 in a playoff game and his team still win. James scores 51 and his team loses. Which is exactly why rings arent the best metric.

3. Unimane

Or Jordan can score 63 in a playoff game and still lose. Or, he can figure out how to win on a night when he isn't playing so great.

Tell me one time when Jordan lost to an inferior team in the playoffs? Now, do the same with James.

4. GahLee

In this case? No. Down 0-3 to a vastly superior team. The series was over before it started. Everyone knew that. James included.

5. Unimane

So, he [uck fay]ing quit. Thanks for validating this side of the argument.

6. GahLee

Dallas.

7. GahLee

Did he quit when he scored 51?

8. GahLee

34/9/11 and he quit. Imagine if he didnt quit. Maybe he could have averaged 45/15/15 and maybe his team would have won a single game.

9. GahLee

It is kind of weird that the entire discussion post Finals is all about James and not the absolute juggernaut dynasty that Golden State has become.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You are borderline too emotional to qualify to discuss

11. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

It's like you possess no self-awareness.

Indy and NashVol11 like this.
  12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That My Little Brony is a phenomenal basketball player whose athleticism, basketball IQ, physicality, production and any other substantive qualifications easily - easily - put him amongst the greatest to ever play the game, is inarguable.

But, even if you set the large disparity in their accomplishments aside (and which can be somewhat done, as it’s a team game), it’s still unavoidable that James not only has a host of perhaps less tangible deficiencies (emotional maturity, competitive fire, quitting, sulking, flopping, chasing rings, etc.) and which Jordan not only didn’t similarly suffer with, but in fact, were some of his biggest strengths.

Michael Jordan always wanted the ball, and once he had it, he would try his utmost to embarrass and murder you with it. He damned sure wasn’t prone to excuse-making, chasing rings, pouting, sulking, and he damned sure would have never just rolled over and quit - and which James has earned a reputation as doing, and deservedly so.

Jordan would have never, ever allowed (much less ordered) his people to go around that gym and demand that a video of a kid dunking on him to be deleted or destroyed, as James did. He would have insisted they keep playing, and would have embarrassed him in a few dozen ways, instead.

They can each be great, for the same or different reasons, but if you’re never going to account for both the intangible and tangible (and which Jordan easily wins both) - then you’re never going to see that the chasm between them is not merely about trophies, teams, or Bron’s deficiencies...but it’s mostly about Jordan’s greatness.

He’s the greatest athlete I’ve ever seen, or believe ever existed.

It’s ok if you don’t agree - but to myself and most objective others, he’s easily the baskeball GOAT.

13. Tenacious D

Didn’t you just post a video which promoted the viewpoint of a guy who literally tried to equivocate James quitting in Game 4 to Jordan’s two worst playoff shooting performances....ever?

Wasn’t that you, just earlier today?
    In this exact same thread?
    Doing exactly this thing?

14. GahLee

Not emotional at all. If fine with anyone thinking Jordan is better. Just dont tell me game 4 makes a difference. That I dont buy.

15. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Should have stopped at "myself." He may be the GOAT, but it certainly isn't "easily," and there absolutely is a growing consensus around the NBA that the pinnacle is a tier containing 2 players, like it or not.

GahLee likes this.
  16. Unimane

You were inferring he quit. And, he had some nice numbers, but a lot of that was the Warriors content with him getting his points on Steph Curry guarding him on the switch while James mailed it in, as you note.

Good thing the 2004 Red Sox didn't have his attitude.

Point being, I don't care if he thought Golden State was better and they'd probably lose. You go down fighting. That's what the greatest player ever would do and that's what we're arguing here. What you think is an "unfair standard" is really just the standard to be #1, not merely a great player.

17. GahLee

Differnce is i know Jordan had bad games, had off nights, nights he wasnt the best player on the floor.

The narrative that he never made mistakes is silly, thus I posted that. A handful of games doesnt define a 15 year career. Not Jordan, not LeBron.

18. Tenacious D

It wasn’t like they had to watch a team they’ve lost to 3 out of 4 years celebrate winning the NBA championship on their home floor.

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If it’s win or go home, it matters.

20. Tenacious D

No, it’s his body of work.

He carried that team in last season’s Finals. One of the greatest - if not THE greatest - Finals performance, ever.

We know what that looks like when he gives it, and when he doesn’t.