The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Indy, you realize Ewing played 15 years for the Knicks, he "carried" a team to the Finals and was the focal point of everyone playing New York?

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I always preferred Patrick Chewing.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I always assumed people game planned around Kiki Vandeweghe

justingroves likes this.
  4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Those Knicks teams were all Allan Houston. If you disagree, you’re not a true Vol. It’s science.

5. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

As crazy as Jordan's stats were, one of the most nuts is the fact he played all 82 games and averaged 37 min/game in his final year at age 39. 37 min/game would've led the league in each of the past 3 seasons.

IP likes this.
  6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Just to be clear, I said this after Indy asked if Ewing was ever considered a top 5 player since Howard, at one time, was considered #2 behind James:

Well, Ewing finished top 5 in the MVP vote 6 times, so I would say yes. It's not the be all, end all, but it does suggest he was. I don't remember a time in which Howard was considered better than Kobe, Dirk or Duncan, or should have been.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The only time I even mentioned MVP rankings was in response to Uni bringing it up in the first place. I literally said

So, again, I'm not sure how you can sit here and claim I'm using it in my argument with you.

It's like you guys think I'm arguing that Dwight Howard is twice the player Ewing was. Just so we are clear, I said:

I try to prove that point by showing that Howard was the focal point and carried a team to a finals, similar to Ewing. You and Card respond by saying "Ewing did all that too!"....... Yeah, I know. That's why I'm saying they will both be remembered similarly. They were both dominant centers. Ewing was more skilled/refined offensively and did it for a longer time. Howard was better defensively and more athletic, but didn't do it for as long of a time for a number of reasons (back injury, game moving away from centers, etc.). That's a very reasonable take on both players, but you all have met me with shit like this:

If you want to claim Ewing was better than Howard, that's fine. It's a reasonable take. If you want to claim that they aren't even remotely close to the same level as players, then you are just wrong. The evidence does not support that stance.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There is no way, shape, form or fashion Howard will be remembered close to or better than Ewing. Whether the same or Howard being twice is good, both are equally as absurd a statement.

justingroves likes this.
  9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Out of curiosity, how many Centers finished in the top 5 in the MVP vote during those 6 seasons? How many Centers finished in the top 5 in the MVP vote during Howard's 4-6 year prime?

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Steve kerr summed it up perfectly just now on espn. The generation who sees the highlights, but werent around at that time, have a harder time understanding what those who were around saw. His dominance and effort will forever be unmatched.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Facts and evidence do not support this stance. You can repeat it as many times as you want. That won't make it any more true.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yep. Nothing else needs to be said.

Mike simply has no equal, no matter how much somebody wants to make it so.

justingroves likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dwight was a flash in the pan compared to how dominant Ewing was for as long as Ewing did it. That makes Ewing, in everyone but indy's mind, a better player.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Defensive POTY 3 years straight is a flash in the pan? 8 time all star? 5 time All-NBA 1st Team? 8 Time All-NBA? I just can't wrap my head around the idea of how you can call Howard a flash in the pan when he literally has more All-NBA Team selections than Ewing does. It's revisionist history. He's arguably the 2nd best Center of this century (behind Shaq), the 2nd best Center of the 2000's decade (also behind Shaq), and the best Center of the 2010's decade. How can you be top 2 in two different decades but be considered a flash in the pan? It just doesn't make sense.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is going to be my last post on the MJ/LBJ conversation for now. I invite all of you to take some time and sit down with a truly open mind and just listen to what is said in these four videos. It won't take long, so truly pay attention.

I've found this guy's (Nick Wright's) opinions on the debate to pretty closely match my own opinions, aside from the fact that he thinks LeBron is already the GOAT, and I think he needs a title in LA to cement it. So just humor me and pretend we live in a world where all of you haven't already made up your minds here... Note the time stamps on the videos and give them a listen:

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Steve Kerr > some rando talking head on *checks notes* FS1

InVolNerable likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

On Cowherd's show to boot.

Might as well used SAS as a reference point.

18. CardinalVol

How is he the second best center when Dirk played, and you've already told us how great Dirk is?

justingroves likes this.
  19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because Dirk was a power forward? Is this a trick question?

20. CardinalVol

Dirk played the 5 a lot.