The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Draymond, Iggy and Klay? For [uck fay]'s sake. They aren't any better, or as good as a Drexler and Payton, for one. Draymond better keep his ass on Rodman anyway, or the Worm will get 30 boards. Who would guard Pippen? Jordan was a relentless scorer and they tried everything to wear him down in an era in which you actually could physically do it, yet no one did. And, Jordan got better at perimeter shooting because he specifically worked on it as he got older and wasn't the whirling dervish of the 80s Jordan. I specifically remember this about him, one of the benefits of actually living through that era instead of just looking up stats on Wikipedia.

Look, they wouldn't stop Jordan's offense or slow him down. It didn't happen and it wouldn't happen. The Bulls are much superior defensively than the Warriors, too. Check out the defensive bonafides for Pippen, Rodman and Jordan. Hell, Ron Harper is a better perimeter defender than anyone on the Warriors, which is why Jackson brought him to the Kobe/Shaq Lakers. There's, literally, nothing like the defense of those Bulls you see in today's game, in particular the Jordan-Pippen duo.

You are a fool if you think the Warriors would "no doubt" win a series with that Bulls team. It would be fun to watch and a dogfight. But, a fully fit Jordan team in the 90s never lost. I would be hard pressed to pick against what I saw.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

...because GS can hit 15 30 footers on fast break pullups in a game and it makes them the greatest

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're such a [uck fay]ing liar. Jordan's perimeter shooting improved because they moved the line in, not because he "specifically worked on it." When they moved the line back to its original distance after '97, he immediately fell back to 24% from 3. I guess he just stopped working on it after his 5th title, right? Jesus. They moved the line right into his preferred shooting range for those three years. That's why his numbers improved so substantially, and then immediately fell off again. You remember his perimeter shooting improving because they moved the 3 point line in. You don't remember is suffering in his last season because you only remember the positives when it comes to MJ.

There's a decent amount of visual and statistical evidence that Gary Payton slowed MJ down. Draymond, Iggy, and Klay are all taller and bigger, with larger wingspans than Payton, much more closely matching MJ's size. And again, that doesn't even include Durant, who definitely has the athleticism necessary to guard MJ and whose length would be problematic. And, again, they don't have to hold him scoreless. They would be able to slow him down enough to win.

Claiming Harper was a better perimeter defender at that point than any of Klay, Iggy, Draymond, and Durant is a stretch. Claiming he was a better perimeter defender at that point than all 4 of them is just wrong. Obviously Jordan and Pippen were great, but the Warriors offense was set up differently than anything they would have seen during their time, and Durant, alone, is an entirely different animal, even for a defender as good as Scottie Pippen.

I totally recognize and appreciate the greatness, defensively, of the Pippen/MJ duo. But saying "there's nothing like it in today's game" doesn't really mean anything. Similarly, there's nothing like the shooting duo of Klay and Steph from the Bulls era, and that's even before Durant. See how easy that was and how little it changes anything?

4. Unimane

The only thing I got wrong was the time frame as Jordan improved his outside shooting in the early, not mid, 90s and this was notably due to the intense beating he was taking as a slasher during the Bad Boys days, so don't ever call me a liar again you [uck fay]ing LeBron taint licking fluffer.

On the last paragraph, you are missing the point I'm not arguing anything much more than the match up would be pretty even and a dogfight. You are the one arguing for clear victory for Golden State.

I'll not bother with much else considering, other than to reiterate don't call me a liar, you little shit.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, it went up a bit in the early 90's, but he saw massive improvements right before his 2nd 3 peat BECAUSE they moved the 3 point line in. 100%. Full stop. You're the one who misspoke. Don't put that on me.

I have no doubt in my mind that 2017 and 2018 Golden State would beat that Bulls team in a 7 game series. I'm pretty confident it wouldn't even go 7.

6. Unimane

No, you called me a liar. Don't.

Jordan had one year where his 3 pt % really jumped, but he had a few years similar to the second year with the new line. His last year was unusually poor for him from behind the arc even compared to prior to the shorter three point line.

Anyway, the more relevant point is your confidence is misplaced. The Bulls were well equipped to stand toe to toe with the Warriors, strength on strength, with the best player on the court. But, I guess you got to see the Warriors in your own time, so that's who you choose. New [ussy pay] is always the best.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You said something patently untrue. It came across dishonest. It cracks me up how bent out of shape you get over someone you don’t know and, based on the way you talk to me, don’t seem to respect, calling you a liar. Meanwhile, I’m over here dealing with people saying Sab fingered my butthole and that I’m a pedophile, and nobody bats an eyelash. Grow a pair.

Jordan has an uncharacteristically bad year because they moved the line back. I’ve said it like, 3 times already.

No, I just think the Warriors, with their 4 all stars, were better than the Bulls with their 2, largely because of the two best 3 point shooters of all time and the biggest mismatch on the court (Durant).

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lots of chatter about CP3 to the Lakers.

He had a great season this year, but does he fit? He’s old and ball-centric. And expensive. Seems a high risk move.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just had an idea: indy vs unimane in a game of HORSE. it won't prove anything, but at least this can go somewhere.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If you thought I was bad at arguing, you should see me shoot a basketball.

11. Unimane

No, don't call me a liar or you can masturbate solo on your LeBron love over here. I don't give a shit about what you accept or don't, that's up to you.

And, what I said wasn't untrue. In fact, it was well known at the time and a stats obsessed guy such as yourself could see the change in Jordan's shooting in the late 80s. His bad '97-98 shooting was uncharacteristic for him as compared to when the line was the same distance earlier in the 90s.

The Bulls had 3 guys who were All-Stars and 3 guys on the defensive first-team. Pippen probably guards Durant and makes it more difficult than you realize. Rodman probably has Draymond and he does nothing against the Worm. Harper and Jordan on Curry and Thompson, so great matchups all over. But, the biggest mismatch is still whoever is on Jordan, again, the unquestioned best offensive player ever. You are so very kidding yourself in your certainty.

12. Ssmiff

As a pedo, can Indy get within 50 yards of a court?

InVolNerable and dknash like this.
  13. Unimane

Trying not to brag too much, but I can actually shoot pretty well. I think I could roll in the HORSE mactch. My spring is gone, unfortunately, and I haven't been able to dunk since I was about 34 or so.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

wait. wait. wait.

you could dunk?

15. Ssmiff

Players games tend to adapt as they gain experience and skills. Jordans shot needed tinkering since his shot off his palm for UNC in the title game.
    Not even sure why his 3 pt shooting is that big of a deal. He was a jump shooter who was best midrange or finishing or getting to the line. The game wasnt 5 players spread out shooting 3s at the time and why shoot a 3 when nobody or double team can stop you inside it.
    Id rather neither one of them take a 3 at the buzzer

16. Unimane

Oh yeah. I'm 6'2" and played ball religiously from teens to late 20s. I have some good stories of being the only white dude on the court. But, I had some spring, could get just near my elbows above the rim. Then, my mid-30s hit and it was all gone. Sad days.

17. Ssmiff

As a 50 yr old and hadnt played in decade, and on a new right knee from 2 years ago, i hit 4 straight 3s in our 3rd game to cut it from 16-2 to 16-14. Then i pumped and penetrated like an idiot, went to go up on my good leg and it sounded like a gunshot.
    I love the game so much, but it literally cost me 2 knees and an achilles.

18. Ssmiff

Believe it or not, at 5-11, i was dunking in 9th grade. Got the flattest feet on the world but they worked like springboards. Plus all i did was play ball and jump all day. Kids were buying funky shoes and such but the only secret to jumping higher was trying to jump higher, all the time.

19. Unimane

Knock on wood, I still haven't torn an ACL or Achilles, but I don't play much anymore. I have had a torn meniscus, torn all the ligaments in my ankle and about a dozen sprained ankle, too. I love to play, but it does wear on your body. I also ran track a little in college and continue to run today on my own, but have practically no injuries there except heel issues though I think that might be due to years on the hardwood as much as anything.

20. Ssmiff

Concrete games are costing me as much as anything. From 14-35, i had to avg 2 days a week playing, and if not winter time, it was on concrete