The NBA Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Is this really what you want us to make our judgement on?

upload_2023-1-30_17-15-31.png upload_2023-1-30_17-15-53.png upload_2023-1-30_17-16-12.png

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

you are correct. The whole gather step to me is nothing more than just a travel, but they allowed it so much they gave it a name.

InVolNerable likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

you’ve already decided. by whatever nba rules are that night, he could probably take 2 more and they’d give it another name. Can’t debate the fact he has the ball with right foot down and left up, then left down right up, then right down again.
    One, 2, free

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What have I decided?

We’ve established that it’s not a travel under current NBA rules.

Do you believe that LeBron is allowed to travel/not travel at a higher rate than other players? If not, why are we even talking about this?

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I can debate anything being backed up by those blurry ass pictures.

6. Ssmiff

Nah. Everybody gets away with this.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you think that’s a real, undoctored video of an actual basketball play that actually happened?

IP likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

who knows. There are 10 minute travelling compilation videos on YouTube of him.

9. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is the NBA equivalent of Kentucky fans saying they've never gotten the calls.

InVolNerable and lumberjack4 like this.
  10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Real or not, the best comment is:
    "That's not traveling, that's adventure"

IP likes this.
  11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If Norman Powell got to play against the Bucks every game, he would be a first ballot hall of famer.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, Giannis goes superman to save the day, again.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's still funny to me how teams act during trade season. We've seen over the past however many years that you don't HAVE to have a perfect team to get to/win the finals. Nearly all of the top teams have significant injury concerns. The Celtics have Brogdon, Philly has Harden and Embiid, Bucks have Middleton, Nets have Kyrie and KD, Nuggets have MPj, Clippers have Kawhi, Suns have CP3, and the list goes on and on. Injuries almost always change the playoff landscape pretty dramatically, so if you've even got a remote outside shot at making the finals, you should probably make whatever moves you can to solidify that position.

That makes Rob Pelinka's comments about the Lakers all the more confusing. They've shown they can compete. Beat the Bucks on the road. Should have beat the Celtics in Boston. They're 3 games back from the damn 4 seed. The team can absolutely compete for a title if they stay healthy and get some luck, and their position can be pretty easily solidified with a move or two. Just doesn't make sense to stand pat.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Kyrie to the Mavs is fun

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wish this was real, it has me laughing.

17. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

@IP

Not any more subjective than "performing well." It's easier to perform well in terms of points per game or whatever when you have unlimited shots on a bad team playing 3 months of games that don't matter, and there are hundreds of examples of this like kidbourbon's guy Kevin Love. No Finals team will ever have that dynamic.

As people like to say, you could put a G-League team into the NBA and someone would still score 18 a game. Raw numbers are always there to be had in a basketball game and are in some ways a function of role, and large roles are easier to seize on bad teams. NBA numbers lie.

There are metrics like on/off numbers that attempt to measure individual impact on winning, which is the point of basketball, but they aren't perfect either. I can tell you right now that with the impact one player can have in a 5 on 5 game, no one leading in those metrics will be on a team well below .500 (it's probably just Jokic again)

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

So maybe the compromise is using on/off numbers.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wow, what a moment. I regret not going.

20. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

True, and seems like that + other advanced stats are becoming bigger and bigger parts of the NBA discourse