POLITICS The Necessity of Hatred

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Feb 22, 2019.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Whites have a 79 year life expectancy.

Blacks have about 74.5.

There is one piece of data alone that says it is better to be white. I am not saying what causes it or why it is. Just that it is a hard piece of data.

2. NorrisAlan

And I want to be put on record saying that the term "white privilege" is a horrible term and only puts people on the defensive, making them feel as if they are to blame or haven't really earned what they have.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I wonder what blacks raised in a two parents house would be?

I think the pain pill epidemic is also hitting whites rather hard too on the life expectancy.

It’s a really complex issue that has a lot of layers.

justingroves, NYY and NorrisAlan like this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Especially in rural Appalachia.

5. NorrisAlan

Agreed. I believe it is stated that my sons generation is to be the first to have a lower life expectancy than their parents.

Pretty damn sad.

6. NorrisAlan

I am willing to bet that rural Appalachia has a comparable life expectancy to blacks in America. I have no data, buy just a hunch.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Just curious, how did your conversation go?

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Or, you could just ask them about their experiences, but who trusts those minorities, huh?

However, if you webby something more scientific, then there are any number of metrics, including poverty rate, incarceration rate, penalties for similar offenses, etc., etc., etc.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

How do you know they have no idea what they’re talking about?

I can’t give you anything concrete, because I’m a straight white male. My experiences are vastly different than those of minorities, LGBQT, or, even my own wife (to name a few).

That’s why I, you know, told you to ask them. And that’s also why I suggested you shut up an listen, because that part is super critical.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I learn new things all the time.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

First in awhile. Probably not the first ever (Black Death comes to mind)

12. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

IP likes this.
  13. cpninja

cpninja Member

People in general do not like to have that level of introspection and realize that perhaps they are the beneficiary of some societal benefit outside of their control. White people dont like the idea that being white is the most beneficial race, insofar as societal and institutional bias is concerned. Straight people don't like the idea that maybe being straight is the most beneficial sexual orientation for someone to have. It goes on and on. People do not like to think that something outside of their control has positively contributed to their life, and that some other groups of people do not get that same benefit. Especially in America, we really really like to think everyone is equal. Everyone has the same rights. But the reality is, the law isnt the only thing that influences society. It's not illegal to be black, but it's certainly harder to be black than white in most of the country. It's not illegal to be gay, but it's certainly harder to be gay than to be straight in most places. And there are intersections of those categories which can compound things. It's a easier to be a gay white man than to be a gay black man. It's a lot easier for me as a white transwoman than it would be if i was a black transwoman. That doesnt mean my life is perfect, or there are no less-privileged people than me who have easier/better/etc lives than me. But on a broad societal level, we are not perfect equals. I have inherent advantages from my skin color that, all other things equal, give me a leg up over some other groups. Again, that doesnt mean I dont have my own struggles or that there aren't less privileged people living better lives than me. White privilege doesnt mean that White Person X always has it easier than Black Person Y. But it means that White Person X has it better than they would if they were the same exact person, but a racial minority instead of white.

I dont expect people here to warm up to the term, but it's a useful term that has actual meaning and should not be viewed as a simple "white people bad" phrase. It shouldn't be seen as a simple way to handwave someone's accomplishments away. People are still ultimately responsible for their choices in life, but we need to acknowledge that there are outside influences which guide those choices, and those outside influences can change quite a bit depending on things like your race or sexuality.

JudgmentVol, The Dooz and IP like this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, the "you didn't build that" dust-up definitely illustrates your point.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Because it was an ignorant thing to say

Joseph Brant likes this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It hurts your feelings that you woke up the first day of your life in a nation with infrastructure. I get it.

17. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

But hey have no idea what it is like to be a straight white male, they have nothing to contrast it against. Most have been told they are victims of circumstance since birth and actually believe it. I've lived in the housing projects in Knoxville and lived in essentially and all black community for 4 years in Atlanta. Seemed to me that everyone was dealing with the same problems, regardless of race or sexual orientation. I do not buy the notion that straight white males have it proportionately better than anyone else. Harmful narrative that does nobody any good.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It was really poor wording.

We stand on the shoulders of giants. The spirit and freedom that built this great country, and carved it from undeveloped into the worlds greatest super power.

That spirit is still alive and well in people like JG that have the balls to be business owners that makes sure others will stbe able to enjoy success like we have in the future.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

How dare you!

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lol