The Never-ending College basketball season thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bostonvol, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This post is hard to take seriously. Did I play against her? lol.

You could have just said she was quick, smooth, and sleek, without comparing her to an animal. And why a panther? How many panthers have you actually seen in real life to know that she was like one?

Just a weird comment.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I truly and honestly believe that it is much more about the "putting up 40 and shooting from the logo" than the "white" part. Like, if we were doing a pie chart, the "white" portion would be <5%.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You know the two games which held the highest viewership before the recent championship game viewership record was set? Both games in which Taurasi played.

You want my argument to fail because you never want to acknowledge the specter of race, but it's there, whether you want it to be or not.

But, I refuse to argue with you because it's a circle jerk of changing claims, like arguing with jello. You can't even get point #1 right. So, nope, done.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

There is a difference between what Uni seems to be saying now:

"Her being white is a factor"

and what he originally posted:

To me, "in large part" means >50% of the pie. I think that's preposterous.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Claim number 1 is quoted above. In what way have I mischaracterized it? Because "due in large part" doesn't mean 100%?

EDIT: Also, when were those Taurasi games played? 20+ years ago? Even if you think you can prove that people watched those games more because Taurasi was white, that doesn't translate to a different person 20 years later.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

well that’s fine but you are kinda the person I’m referring to when I mention people should be honest. If Caitlyn wasn’t white and on all white team putting up those numbers, you can’t tell me white America woulda started tuning in like they did, to see a black woman put up 40, and there wouldn’t have been a racial divide and backlash had a black woman taunt another black player either. This whole thing unfortunately came down to white V black. Just the way it is. Nobody is hurt. Be honest and move on.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Can someone share a list of the most viewed women's college basketball games of all time? I always have a hard time finding this sort of thing. Is there a go-to website?

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think that this post is an incredibly simplistic view of the situation and is rife with assumptions.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

There goes Indy, brachiating like a gish galloping gibbon through the forest of posts.

NashVol11 and utvol0427 like this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just thought it was a weird thing to say.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Well indy in my lifetime the simplest answer is the right one the vast majority of the time. But people don’t like simple. They like to complicate things

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

She's athletic, with smooth and powerful movements. You are a poetry guy, come on.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hadn't realized the broadcast TV part. Ya, seems like a critical piece of context.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Simple, to me, is that the sport has gotten more publicity, been looped in with the men's game much more tightly, was made more easily accessible, and the girl put up multiple all-time performances, and in ways not previously seen (shooting from the logo and such).

I have a really hard time believing that a significant number of new viewers heard about what was going on, asked "is she white?" in their heads, and then decided to go forward with turning the game on once they confirmed she's a white girl.

But maybe I'm naive.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

17. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

IMO Indiana already wasn't a blue blood and neither is UConn

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Agreed on Indiana ultimately. Haven’t been relevant as a national powerhouse since Knight. However UConn has more nattys than Kansas (place where basketball was literally invented) does all time now…5 national titles in 25 years. Comparatively Duke has 5 national titles in the last 30+ years. Does that mean Duke is also not a blue blood? What on Earth else must they do to be seen as a blue blood?

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Duke fan feels threatened

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst