The Overwhelming Negativity...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Jul 21, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The year 1 situation he stepped into doesn't account for taking a step backwards in his second year, and it's not going to mean anything on this upcoming year.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And, Berry, this is coming from a guy who has been in some of the most intense debates on this site. Everything Unimane just said shows why this site is a step above.

3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

The "process" crowd here is as lost as the "boom" crowd there.

Just because the context of the conversation is beyond that of other sites doesn't mean the opinion is. There is plenty a post here that has had the " fall in line" approach.

Thing is here that the overall intelligence of the average poster is well beyond that of any board I've ever frequented. With that said you know that a false step will get a legion of venomous posts from good posters.

Thus the same opinion shared.

4. GahLee

I suppose losing the best defensive player before the year begins, your best offensive player and an All-SEC caliber QB are null and void?

Circumstances shouldn't be ****ed. It was a an awful situation with rather high expectations.

Again, not one to slurp the guy but a fair chance should be given.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If everyone falls in line to the same opinion all the time, then why are there so many arguments on this board? I'm pretty sure people here are intelligent enough to have their own opinion and are also smart enough to understand that their opinion may not be liked by everyone. Bill is one of the few remaining Dooley defenders here. Guess he fell in line with...someone.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Put me down for a shitburger this Fall. I like it medium rare. Don't expect a tip if it doesn't get served properly, though.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Boom.

8. GahLee

I've yet to see a true argument of the current state of UT. It's the same song different verse in every thread.

9. GahLee

It was a completely indefensible point.

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm shocked that there is negativity surrounding a coach whose career record is 28-34, who just lost to one of the worst Kentucky teams in recent memory, also just finished dead last in one of the worst SEC east divisions ever, and has finished below .500 in each season at UT. I'm absolutely shocked. You can throw out attrition, youth or whatever, but there is enough talent on the roster to at least compete with the Lattimore-less Gamecocks of the world. Or to demolish the UABs of the world. Or to beat the UK squads who looked like this in the early season

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Returning the entire offensive line and not being able to run against Montana with Justin Hunter and Tyler Bray is about as ****ing of evidence as there could be of a lack of progress. We were totally and completely dependent on a passing game, and we literally didn't adjust at all when we had an injury.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I really don't know what you want in this thread. I'm happy to discuss or debate with you. But my beliefs have been bred from observation and discussion for the past 2 years. I am not one to just have faith. Ask anyone.

I desperately want us to win big this year, Berry. You have no idea. I want UT to lose games this year about as badly as I want to cut off my nose. And I have a big nose. If I had to go on hating Dooley for 10 years because we kept winning games, well, that is a cross I would bear.

In the mean time, I need Dooley to show me something-- anything-- before I can take him seriously as a football coach.

Just my opinion.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Here's a question I'd like answered: Name one game where [ddiapos] outcoached his competition while at Tennessee. If I could have seen that at any point during the first 2 years, maybe I could have some hope even in loss. I have yet to see that.

14. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

There hasn't been one.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And there won't be one.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Sure. I have a smidgen of hope. I've always said if Dooley could be struck by an enlightenment stick and just get his ego out of his way, he might succeed. He will need to surround himself with good football minds and let them coach. He will need to learn that some things can actually be his fault. Respect, responsibility, etc.

But, I think he is a man of great detail and organization. If he doesn't let that paralyze him or let his opinion of himself blind him, he's got a chance.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There has been some praise regarding recruiting lately. I'm not all that excited because I think Dooley is a dead man walking and that a lot of his
    guys may be looking around in the near future.

As for the negativity, it's not always been that way. The tone definitely took a dramatic shift in that direction throughout the 2012 season. I don't think that is really unusual or sheepish given how terrible of a season it was. I (and the rest of the mods) would welcome more Dooley support as it would generate a lot more discussion and activity. Lockstep isn't good for business and if that's the way the site appears, there certainly hasn't been a conscious effort to get there.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I also think a lot of people fail to realize that Teny is intentionally over the top at times. It's hilarious if you can appreciate it. Took me awhile to figure it out.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That All-SEC QB looked like garbage against UGA and UK. Slightly fresher garbage against Vandy. His best game was actually the one where Hunter went down. The more time the coaches had to "adjust" to #11's absence, the worse he performed.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What Dooley did overall in 2010 wasn't too bad. I thought throwing Simms to the wolves was great, winning 6 was about right and getting the ol serviceable was all good jobs by the staff.