The Overwhelming Negativity...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Montrell

Montrell New Member

At least he's on board now and realizes what we've seen all along with this HC.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Had to give him a hard time. We butt heads more than anyone else for some reason.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  3. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I've stated I was worng about the perception this site had heading into the season. For the record, when I posted this I was not a Dooley supporter, just thought the team could overcome him as a coach to win some games. I was wrong.

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Wrong? Not necessarily, B6. We win-out (including a Bowl) and we finish 8-5 = overcoming.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Josiah,

I apologize if you have answered this, but did you post on other boards before coming here?

6. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

They win and Dools' new staff proves he can deliver a team with a 3-5 losing SEC record. That is better than last year, but does not = overcoming by a long shot. Dools has proved nothing personally. Hart had to change his policy and go with longer term contracts to even get Graham and Sunseri. We see how that worked out with the later. Dools and Hart get a guy with no major DC experience to bring a new scheme that he obviously does not understand himself. Last in the SEC. Last. Heading toward last in the country. Last. That is not "overcoming" anything.

Good observations back then DH and Jay. As I pointed out on TOOS last year, Butch Jones of Cincy told everybody after that game what UT was trying to do with disguising the O-line blocking scheme with a sprint draw look while running pro set plays. But they couldn't even get that right. Chaney lined the RB up 9 yards off the ball and had Bray hand it off 7-9 yards back. The frickin RB had to run 10 yards straight ahead just to get a yard. No O-line could hold a block that long. They got lucky Cincy's D was very confused and bad. But when the SEC schedule kicked in that crap was toast. IMO none of it was Harry's fault - it was all on Chaney, and Dools for letting Chaney do it. Of course Dools in clueless about how to run an offense. Harry is proving he knows how to coach an O-line. Just a horrible coaching situation overall.

I am so pissed still that the UTAD - Hamilton, Cheek, Hart, whoever else with a say - has put this fan base through this dumbass stuff for so long.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, it's not overcoming a damn thing. Beating a team with equal or greater talent would be "overcoming" a shitty coach. Losing to the good teams and beating the bad is exactly what bad coaches do.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

See: Tedford.

9. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

We haven't overcame a damn thing this year. In fact, Dooley has made it a point to condition UT fans that we aren't going to win jack until November, but we still play KY this year.

10. Milo

Milo New Member

Yes.

11. Milo

Milo New Member

That didn't take long. Don't misconstrue...just offering B6 a little show of support. You both make good points. This team has overcome adversity but I agree, coaching has been a challenge.

12. Milo

Milo New Member

I see what you did there.

13. g8terh8ter_eric

What adversity have they overcome?? Sure hasn't been anything that's translated into wins. That's overcoming adversity to me.

14. Milo

Milo New Member

Team chemistry and (individual and team) resolution. Strength of Character and maturity. Last years team quit. Not this team. That said, winning is paramount.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

A sports team that didn't quit is the base line. Not an accomplishment.

16. g8terh8ter_eric

Last year's team didn't technically quit until KY, and that was the most epic fail of a game I've ever seen as a UT fan.

17. Milo

Milo New Member

Agree. However, what's behind the "not quitting" (mental makeup / resilience) is, IMO.

18. Milo

Milo New Member

That loss hurt...bad.

It was more evident during the KY gm, but the wheels were in motion sooner.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Arkansas was a technically flawless quit.

20. g8terh8ter_eric

I don't know. It looked like we were poised to go into KY and mop up, after the Vandy win, and KY's QB quandary.