The Overwhelming Posititivity...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Jul 30, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Of this thread will be anomalous on our dark and damp forum.

The fact of the matter is, I wouldn't care if Hal Mumme was our head coach as long as he was winning games and building the team. If Dooley stumbles ass-backwards into glory this season my joy will be undiminished. Orange pants and Dooley wigs all around.

As fragile as this team is in terms of depth and perhaps psyche, stranger things have happened than a team having a breakthrough year as its roster matures. And make no mistake, Tennessee is NOT a young team any more. When the age of a person is the same or older than the length of their undergraduate career in dog years, they are either Doogie Howser or absent of youth excuses. They are veterans now.

Also, Dooley has exhibited subtle signs of spontaneous testicular manifestation. His comments at SEC media games, while not great, were worlds apart from "relentless pursuit of improvement" and other uninspiring rhetoric that would guarantee failure at potty training preschoolers. These are college men. Improvement isn't enough to inspire young men. Or anybody, really. At least he has moved away from that and put Tennessee in the shoes of a bullied kid that just clinched his fist. Lame, but not AS lame. I'd love for him to announce that Tennessee is about to get a lot more "cowboy" and a lot less "Indian." Or some other less-than-PC comment that stirs up a shit storm and rallies the team.

Prior to the last week or two, Dooley has always been as well-manicured as a French poodle. Now, he has actually shown up after workouts and things just a wee bit disheveled. Is this a sign that his focus is now more on things that actually matter, than on his appearance? What do you call a disheveled stumble-faced man wearing a sweatshirt with the sleeves cut out? One of the greatest NFL coaches of this generation. This is a reach, but perhaps this is a sign that his mind is no longer racing with details of trash can placement and official apparel design.

There is an obvious and real culture change within the team. Lathers is the architect of it. Attitude and lack of mental toughness as a team has played a huge role in the failures of Tennessee football for a generation. The notable exception is the Kiffin year, where I honestly believe that depleted and broken team gave everything they had in every one of those losses. Will this make a difference? I think so. Will it cause a lasting change in the mindset of the team? Probably not past this year or if Lathers goes down. But it is still reason for optimism.

I do not believe Dooley is the man to take us to the promised land. I don't think he can establish us as a permanent fixture at the top of the division again. I do think Tennessee can win this year, with him. And if they do, I'm going to enjoy it.

We can always fire him next year.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Other than vastly underestimating how hard it its to potty train a kid, i like it. Rational optimism.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Positive reinforcement, card. You can make a kid do anything with bribery

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

If it were only that easy.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Guys, it is to the point to where i cannot contain my excitement for the season.

6. CardinalVol

We finally just gave up until #2 gets here. He showed no interest other than doing the minimum to get the candy.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Starting him a bit early?

8. tripper

tripper Member

You'll get to the point that money doesn't work either.

9. CardinalVol

The goal was to only have one in diapers. To idealistic i.guess.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I told my wife as soon as ours can walk, I'll just let him **** on trees outside to get the hang of it. I don't know if that will work, but it's better than changing diapers.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll get there about two weeks before the NCSU game. I'll then get violently angry if Tennessee loses.

This season is actually a win/win. Tennessee plays like they can, they win 9 or 10 games. Dooley does what Dooley does best, his ass is grass and we'll see a new coach.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Mine runs off to shit her diaper. If she knows to do that, then she should be able to sit on the throne and drop em off. Instead she flips out like we've taken her to a Nazi Concentration Camp for the weekend. I've offered everything from candy, the chance to wear makeup, to driving my truck by herself. Not a **** thing.

I'm convinced that me, at 190 lbs, could not shit in a diaper and fill it up more than my two year old girl can. I don't have a weak stomach and never have, but some of this stuff now is making me queasy.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Knock on wood, our little guy was completely potty trained by his 3rd birthday which was in May. The issue my wife has is that he doesn't put the seat down after peeing...it only took one time for her to start checking!

14. CardinalVol

I like the direction this thread has gone.

My little guy will tell us he's poopy now, but he still has less than zero interest to do anything else.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mine is 7 months and will look at you, grin, then ruin his diaper as he laughs at you. So, I guess it's a good thing he knows what he's doing already.

16. CardinalVol

I do agree with NYY though. I don't have a weak stomach, and some of the stuff he's produced has made it turn a couple of times. It's got to happen sooner rather than later.

17. volroadwarrior

volroadwarrior New Member

The young Vols from the last 2 years were in diapers and we were aggravated to no end having to put up with the changing and clean ups. This year they should be potty trained, but still have some uh-oh lapses until we can get an SEC grade roster. After next year we will expect them to take a crap just like the rest of us and win some championships.

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The young Vols from the last two years didn't shit in their diapers, they took their diapers off, and shit all over the place, leaving an even bigger mess than Crompton's jumior shit campaign.

19. CardinalVol

I think I've decided there are only two things that could surprise me this season.

1. Losing to Georgia State
    2. Playing in the BCS title game

Everything else is legitimately within my scope of believable outcomes.

20. CardinalVol

I think I've decided there are only two things that could surprise me this season.

1. Losing to Georgia State
    2. Playing in the BCS title game

Everything else is legitimately within my scope of believable outcomes.