The Plague & Privilege of Childhood Poverty

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Guy is born with that typical East St. Louis silver spoon in his mouth, just skating and lucking his way through life. What a world we live in!

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's easier for wealthy kids?

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Jo!

How you been?

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Racist.

5. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Are you really suggesting that life isn't relatively easier when you start out with money?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is some kind of trap, I assumed.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

good grief no. Access to goods isn't easier.

I grew up with nearly nothing. My kids have a much different situation. Life hasn't changed appreciably for them. The idea that wealth makes for an easier life is ridiculous. It's a tale old as time. Money can't by love, happiness

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not at all. The class warfare arguments mean exactly nothing to me. Interestingly enough, I've been on both sides of that fence and still believe that the fantasy of wealth driven better life is senselessness.

How in the world did people survive prior to wealth? We use modern politics to frame life in terms of income and wealth, but it makes it no more true than it was centuries ago. It's just a faulty construct.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

How much money? I don't think the average middle class kid is any less likely to be successful than the kid who's dad is a billionaire. Hell it's probably the opposite

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sort of an odd position for a dye in the wool capitalist such as yourself to take. If it isn't any easier, then why bother to attain anything? Otherwise, life sure as hell is easier with money than without it. What someone actually does when they get money is one thing, but, if you are suggesting that life in a South Side Chicago ghetto is on par with Beverly Hills or a Farragut, then you're kidding yourself.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Kids that never have lacked for anything generally lack the drive of a kid that has had to work his ass off for everything he owns

12. Unimane

Yes, he is and he sure as hell has an easier opportunity to be successful. Whether or not he chooses to live a leisurely lifestyle as some kind of playboy is one thing, but his potential for success is greatly enhanced by his situation as the son of a billionaire.

13. Unimane

Yeah, meaning he has an easier life.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Money buys freedom for you. I'm not totally convinced your kids are better off though. The surest way to make sure your kid doesn't succeed is to make sure he never fails at anything. I've seen it time and time again. A bunch of rich little shits that think they know everything by 19. Those kids never accomplish anything on their own.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Easier doesn't mean better. If you think inheriting a million feels as good as making it yourself you are kidding yourself.

16. Unimane

Totally agree with this, but the rich kids opportunity to be successful is much easier for them. Whether or not they take advantage is another matter, but they have a leg up and easier lifestyle than some kid in the projects or even a middle class kid like myself. I'm not mad or anything, I've certainly had it easier than a lot of people in this world and could have sat on my ass while those with harder situations passed me by except for the fact that I had a dad kicking my ass every step of the way (while at the same time providing a good lifestyle for me).

17. Unimane

Certainly feels better than inheriting food stamps. But, yes, it certainly feels better to earn it on your own. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to spend those inherited millions, though.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

People severely overestimate the ability of a dude making $300k a year to significantly improve the lives of their children besides giving them money outright. Bill gates kids sure, but what percentage of people is that? Otherwise we are talking about the difference between growing up in a larger house and going to private school rather than public.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Most people blow threw the money anyway. Show me a middle class kid whose parents give a shit and I'll bet on that kid any day of the week over the rich kid with a nanny

20. Unimane

Working in both types of school systems, I disagree. I see a marked difference in terms of socio-economics with regards to lifestyle ease, opportunity, support systems, etc.. Poorer kids often lack the resources and support system available to most affluent kids. They, quite often, have to supplement their families income as a high school student, cutting into free and study time. There are a whole host of other things that just make it, on average, easier for those with parents making $300K than those with parents making $20K.