The positives

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 1, 2016.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah I'm having a hard time getting worked up about the defense.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The o line looked the worst I can remember

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Absolutely. Could they be any worse if they played sans coaching? I'm not sure what Mahoney is teaching these guys.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

One of the scores is on ST, too. Defense held them to 3-out on their own 15 on the opening series, then looked like shit after the muffed punt. That's not good, but it isn't all on them, either.

The offense, on the other hand, put up 1 TD against a sunbelt team.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

and he still was arguably the best. Richmond looked lost.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

How's this for a positive:

Alvin kamara and Josh Dobbs combined for 15 carries and 17 yards.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Watching 55 release guys to go for upfield blocks while the ball carrier gets wrecked by the guy he released, over and over again, was the most perplexing spectacle last night for me. There was no lead blocker, so who was he thinking was going to pick the released guy up? This was at the ****ing snap.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

dobbs had 14 carries? didn't realize that.

9. cpninja

cpninja Member

10 of those were probably "sacks" where he held the ball for 20 seconds but couldn't find the time to launch it into double coverage

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's coached that way is the sad thing

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

But what is the idea? How is it supposed to work?

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

[​IMG]

14. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I just cannot get over the fact that we faced an inferior opponent with superior coaching last night (minus the last minute and a half in regulation and overtime). While the D looked lost in the first half, they seemed to get it together with some adjustments in the second half. They did their job, holding Appy St to 13 points, 17 if you throw in the missed XPA and FGA. With what we have on offense, scoring into the 30's-40's should have been a given last night. It was Butch's infallible offensive scheme and game plan with DeBord that nearly cost us the game. I can only remember 2 passes to Wolfe over the middle, which was there all night. They targeted the hell out of Williams in the first quarter until the corner sat on the route and nearly picked it off, then I am not sure he made another catch. Malone makes 2 great catches back to back, one of for the TD, and you never hear from him again. Dobbs was not a threat to run until OT, Hurd was constantly bottled up in the middle all night, and they did not send Kamara out to the corners until late in the game. I can understand going vanilla on offense for the first game, but Jesus Christ, a Fulmer/Majors coached team with this much returning talent and experience boat race Appy State last night 63-13, easy.

The weird thing about last night was I never got upset. The only emotion I showed was on the Malone TD catch, because he actually fought for it somewhat. Other than that, I was apathetic, and nearly to the point of wanting them to lose so Butch can GTFO. Until he's gone, my Give-A-Sh**-Meter is sitting on empty. The team was not ready, not coached, and got exposed on national TV. That is Butch's fault. Plain and simple. I'm out for the season.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Positives?

The game is over.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

/thread

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I just can't get over the fact that Butch Jones makes 4.1 million a year.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Positive: They hit Ethan Wolf a couple of times. Of course, this all but assures they'll ignore him in the big games.

19. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

The only positive is that they didn't lose

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

"Hurd is a big ol' sum[itch bay]. Those guys won't be able to tackle him."