The Section 103 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Nov 18, 2013.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

You're boy Huggs made a nice run with West Virginia a few years ago as well running curls off his 5 out motion. Guy at top of key would pass shallow cut/screen for opposite wing and i believe it was Kentucky they destroyed with it.

2. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I counted nine guys in suits around the huddle the other night in the Tennessee game. The amount of coaches, assistants, managers, directors of basketball bullshit, bla bla bla in high D1 basketball is utterly absurd.

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

And most are hired guns trying to get players with few assistants focused on skill development. Sadly with the high salaries and pressure to win very,very early in a coach's tenure, it's become the nature of the beast.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Good screens with proper setups, cutting and passing will get open looks.

Not all teams can knock down the shots or are consistent enough to win with it or can defend/rebound well enough to win, but execution on offense can generate good looks and it doesn't have to be within plays.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And the team still shows no discernible skill development, no offense and pathetic defense. Again, we aren't the only ones.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

"Excellent execution of a mediocre idea will beat mediocre execution of an excellent idea."

Learned a good phrase/way to teach reading screens this summer... defender, screener, angle of scoring opportunity... when coming off pindown put your chin to inside shoulder to read D.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You still at cak jz?

8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

yes sir... hoping to get a HC position this spring but kind of difficult (to find a good school) without being a teacher... might have a few options though!

9. CardinalVol

High school level?

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Yes. One for HC in east Tenn... I've gotten to know Bob Hurley and close friend of mine is an assistant at St Anthony and I spent a weekend with them in Oct and if an assistant spot opens there this spring I'm pretty sure I'd get it... I just really don't know if I could move my family to the NYC/Jersey area.

I have no desire to coach at the collegiate level at this point... seeing what several of my friends have gone through makes it not worth it to me.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

True, but the good programs all have one thing in common. No matter how many suits are standing around, there's no doubt who the man in charge is. I defy anyone to watch a Memphis huddle and tell me they can identify the head coach if they didn't already know who it was.

12. hatvol96

Think long and hard before you pass up that opportunity if it presents itself.

13. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

That's good stuff there.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think, if you polled 100 people, at least 35 would state that Pastner is the Team Manager when looking at a Memphis huddle. I remember when they put a mic on him when they were playing Louisville a couple of years ago. It was almost sad. He scolded one player by saying (in a desperate tone) "I love you, but..."

15. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

The only reason I'd have to think about it is because I'd have to find a job up there that would fit into the basketball schedule but still pays enough to support a family of four.

16. hatvol96

See if Hoop Group has anything.

17. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

How about Mike Rice is working for the Hoop Group in Neptune, NJ. When I was up there watching St Anthony play he was there coaching his son's team and organizing stuff.

18. CardinalVol

Gut feeling says you would probably get some assistance in finding a job with a team like that.

19. hatvol96

I read that in the New York Times Magazine piece. Got to start back somewhere.

20. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

I know I'm late to the conversation, but the state of basketball over the past 5-10 years is pitiful. It's all at the rim or behind the 3 point line. As stated before, hardly anyone can hit an 8-12 foot jumper. It's like they don't understand that it counts as 2 points. I agree with hat that Wisconsin is a lot of fun to watch because of the execution and the way they play. I've coached middle school boys and high school boys. All of them think they are going to be on SportsCenter. I had a strict "No 3-pointer unless I say so" rule with both of those teams. If someone felt like they would shoot it anyway, they got benched immediately. I had to work with them on basic fundamentals like "this is chest pass/bounce pass/how you move your feet on defense." We hardly practiced any "set plays," worked primarily on defense, rebounding, and executing the pick and roll. Had to teach them to not play defense with their hands, play defense with your feet and legs. Anyway, wound up winning championships with both age groups on that simple, fundamental stuff. It may not be "fun" to watch, but it works and it wins.