The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ohio has a funky 20 day rule too for their city taxes, by NY state is easily the most aggressive. They've also had the most tax revenue flee the state the last decade.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't know. You're counting on the bloat to remove the bloat.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

but limitless free money with them having no skin the game on it is the reason for the bloat.

Change that and most of the bullshit ends. That’s the sad part about the increase of college. Almost none of the increase went to making it better for students but got sucked up rent seeking middle men.

justingroves likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

agree on the causes but don’t think it’s going to be that easy to normalize.

we can’t raise rates high enough to get out of it like we did in the late 70’s and 80’s. We’re seeing globalization breaking apart instead of starting like then, and we’re not going to cut spending.

5. CardinalVol

Rates will stabilize it some. We may not see pure Vlocker affect (and I'm still not 100% sure we want to go that route either). At this point it's bringing it in for a smoother landing than making the thing crash.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

we can’t go Vlocker. And I’m not sure a smooth landing is on the table any more. I think that window passed and now we’re raising rates into a recession

7. CardinalVol

Depends on severity of it. Recessions are part of the business cycle life as much as sickness and death are to human life cycle. I'm up in the air of what it's actually going to look like.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

i know but we’ve stopped that natural cycle for over a decade now so going back could be messy.

I hope that you’re right though but I just think it’s going to get messy

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wake me when it is over. I was stressed to hell about this two weeks ago and second day on vacation I said "[uck fay] it, nothing I can do about it" and went to sleep and woke up feeling great for the first time in months.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i watched the entire press conference. it's crystal clear they are trying to kill the job market and get unemployment up.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't understand what this is supposed to accomplish.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the second stimulus was one of the dumbest pieces of legislation in a long long time.

zehr27 and CardinalVol like this.
  13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A guy we’re friends with that owns a gas station says that his pricing prediction from his supplier will have him paying 10 dollars a gallon by November

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hate it. If our system means 5 to 10 % of Americans must struggle to find work, then it is a broken system.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If so, this is some kind of market manipulation by industry. The supply is there.

zehr27 likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they specifically mentioned there were 2 jobs available for every person looking. personally i think this will be become a self fulfilling prophesy and businesses will start freezing hiring soon anyway. definitely worried the fed will over shoot.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

refiners always seem to overreact to current market conditions. i've never understood it. they go bankrupt like every 15 years. you'd think you'd learn eventually.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If people thought there was automation pressure before, watch how this lesson gets translated going forward. All those low paying jobs that they can't fill for even 12 bucks an hour are going to get automated to a maximum extent possible as soon as possible and never come back.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup it's inevitable. i'm surprised there arent' fast food places that have gone full touch screen

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think a lot of production that has been offshored will come back state side too.

Weaponizing US treasury deposit holdings that Russia held will dramatically change things and that’s a gun that we’ll never be able to pull the trigger on twice.