The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

here's the govt definition:

Market Manipulation
    Market manipulation is when someone artificially affects the supply or demand for a security (for example, causing stock prices to rise or to fall dramatically).

Market manipulation may involve techniques including:

• Spreading false or misleading information about a company;
    • Engaging in a series of transactions to make a security appear more actively traded; and
    • Rigging quotes, prices, or trades to make it look like there is more or less demand for a security than is the case.

By posting on the message board to go buy it and create a short squeeze they are artificially affecting the demand of the stock. it's clear market manipulation. whether they got what they deserved is a different argument.

and a stock being shorted doesn't mean it has to go up in value.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

so kramer manipulates the market every day on television. So the hedge fund guy who originally shorted this and announced he shorted it also will be arrested, right?

it is a double standard. wall street types coordinate their moves all the time. We all know it, so we know this is classist bullshit.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Bingo. Arresting people for discussing doing on a message board what hedge funds do every day would just be another data point to collect on how tilted this country is to the rich.

lylsmorr likes this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the hedge fund guy or kramer can only be arrested if what he said was false and misleading with the attempt of manipulating the stock. lots of shorts have been sued over the years based on that. occasionally they lose.

when there has been evidence of that type of stuff they've gotten arrested. that goldman guy just recently. unfortunately posting something on a message board is pretty hard to deny you attempted to manipulate the stock. i think it's kind of funny, but it's still not legal.

5. HCKevinSteele

I appreciate what you're saying but they did not on their own create a short squeeze. It required that hedge fund creating an opportunity for a short squeeze.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

7. HCKevinSteele

Again I may not disagree per se with what what you're saying here, but I think we may be moving to a political climate and also a world where people just have better information and understand how fake the economy is that they won't accept it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

this didn't start as creating a squeeze, it started with the company getting a new CEO and people thinking it was being undervalued, while simultaneously a hedge fund set out to short it and public declared they were. People already buying noticed the hedge fund had exposed themselves. no one made them or manipulated them into doing that.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they artificially inflated the price of the stock by creating artificial demand. the fact there was a short squeeze just means they did a really good job at market manipulation. people do this with penny stocks all the time and it has nothign to do with short squeezes. they buy something thinly traded. go on a day trading message board and say the stock is going to go up crazy. wait until people buy it and it goes up quickly because the thin trading means it's easy for it to go up. dump their stock on the suckers. happens all the time and it's illegal.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the manipulated the price of the stock to go up. the short squeeze isn't the manipulation part. see my post above.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

hold up. buying stocks is manipulating markets? come on.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the stock market is such liquidity it's not very easy to manipulate. people accused the banks of manipulating in 08 and they lost hundreds of billions, so not really a great job manipulating. the only place scams like these work is in small companies like this. you can't go do this to amazon.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why is Kramer not in jail? he tells for people to buy certain stocks all the time.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

first off he's not personally gaining because he owns the stocks. second he's not artificially manipulating the price. he's saying it's going to go up because of fundamentals.

17. HCKevinSteele

Eh, I haven't read the Reddit board but I'm assuming they don't actually believe that. Also assuming there's plenty of talk on it not being the basis of what they're doing either.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

there seems to be this apriori belief that GameStop is worthless. These folks do not believe it is.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that would be fine if that's all they said. instead they said that we need to all go buy this to create a short squeeze and make the stock go up.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

this started in August explicitly because of this.