The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yup. It's wild.

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

The rise of bitcoin to the current market has fueled ETH to the new high it sits at. Which is now fueling large cap alts, which will fuel mid and small cap alts. We are in altseason, for sure. Good time to dump a few hundred dollars in to some coin worth next to nothing, good chance it pumps insanely through the summer. Easy money.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Carole Baskin is dropping $CAT.

[​IMG]

IP likes this.
  4. GahLee

GME holders didn't hold long enough, can't blame them, hard to pass on major profits but they sold way too early. AMC holders are doing it right and will level some hedge funds in to oblivion.

5. GahLee

I first bought Doge in 2018, when it was about .00002 per coin. I didn't hold it, talk about wanting to puke, I could have retired by now. Oh well, I still hold a nice amount that is making me really good money but I definitely have some regrets. I've learned one thing in regards to crypto, time in the market over timing the market. I used to try and scalp it and run with the pump and dump crowd, big mistake. I now hold long term and will sell marginal amounts at high prices to realize some gains.

Live and learn.

6. GahLee

Hope you fellas are doing well, given the times.

Ssmiff likes this.
  7. fl0at_

Yup. Crypto, if you can put money into it and don't ever care about it. You can leave it for 50 years. Eventually, while crypto exists, it'll do something.

8. GahLee

Every penny I have invested I treat as if it is gone and will never be seen again. It's the only way I can make myself hold through hard dips. Luke I said, if I would have just held my original Doge investment, I'd be retired this very second. But it remained dormant for a few mo ths and I got bored while seeing other things I wanted to invest in go up. So I sold. I bought some cheap ass small cap all a few weeks ago. Put in 500 dollars, if it hits 10 cents, I will make 3.2 million dollars.

I tell myself that day is never coming and that 500 is gone forever. Hope I'm wrong and wake up one day the next couple years and have a few million to my name.

9. GahLee

If NSCC-002 is passed tomorrow, it could trigger (will, if enforced) some massive shifts in the market. As short sellers will have to make their positions made public and will be monitored heavily. If there short asset valuation is larger than their cash on hand, they have one hour to come correct or will be forced in to liquidation.

I think of AMC, GME and host of other stocks that have been shorted heavily, AMC in particular because not only did they short it but they naked shorted it. They shorted synethic shares that were bought by the more than 3 million retail investors who own the stock.

Come to Jeusus moment could be on the horizon. Won't feel sorry for the hedge funds one bit but have all the sympathy for those who will be hurt along the way.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that the thought on not trying to time things and just holding on until you can achieve gains with only a portion or just letting it sit forever is the correct strategy. anything else is gambling.

GahLee likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'd sell before Musk takes the stage Saturday night.

IP likes this.
  12. GahLee

It would have to be your only job. That ain't me. I can't stare at a computer screen for 10 hours a day waiting for dips and rips. I can however, purchase and wait.

13. GahLee

Plan to sell off a small amount, say 5k doge around then. That will cover all of my investment and about 1500 dollars in gains. Gonna buy the wife something nice.

Everything that happens after that is 100 percent profit and no loss on investment.

fl0at_ likes this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

clearing firms are supposed to be monitoring this already. naked shorting is illegal, very easy to track by the govt, and greatly misunderstood. short sellers were likely borrowing from institutions which is completely legal.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

vast majority of institutional traders these days are basically computer programmers. inefficiencies get zeroed out too quickly by the computers for a human to be able to compete.

16. fl0at_

A couple good statisticians I knew went to work for firms to help build their real time decisions models. PhD stat dudes, too. Not undergrads.

droski likes this.
  17. GahLee

I think there are some folks at Melvin Capital and Citadel that deserve to be doing prison sentences. They obviously aren't issuing repercussions on these guys for short selling the stock. Check the numbers. There are days were 95% of the trading that occurs is buying and the stock falls in price. The utilization has been at 100 percent for over a week now. They are continually throwing naked shorts out hoping to scare people off. It hasn't worked.

I truly believe that the retail investors in AMC hold 200 percent of the free float. And that number is conservative, it's likely around 300 percent.

18. GahLee

Algorithms do not account for sentiment. I doubt any AI programming thought Doge would send like it did. Or some of these ALT coins that are about to see massive peaks.

They are ultimately a smarter choice for the institutions, because I imagine the guys running those ships are cocaine-fueled alcoholics with absolutely no sub-conscious.

I believe sentiment can win.

19. fl0at_

AI doesn't need sentiment, it just needs to look at whatever inputs it has been trained on, and decide direction. And it can do that at any moment, faster than any human.

When it starts to see sell orders exceeding buy orders, it can jump out. When it sees the opposite, it can jump back in.

It can be programmed to accept certain loss conditions, or to shoot for momentary gain positions.

Remember that if you were to make a single trade that netted you $1. And you were able to do this a million times a day... you'd have a million dollar day.

And AI can ride those highs and lows much better than a human. Regardless of sentiment.

GahLee likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And don't sleep on AI understanding human "sentiment" better than we do.