The Tyler Bray Discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're rarely to never gonna see both A gaps covered in a base 4-3 defense. Again, you're assuming heavy formations. That said, the lineman could pick it up, but checking would probably be a better option.

I don't claim to know a lot about OL play, and I don't know where everyone else is lined up, but logic tells me left guard traps and kicks out opposite DT while the center takes the other. Other guard works up to LB.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It's very rare, but it can happen. However, assume a 4-4 double swap look then.

An OL is going to make a check that the RB can recognize?

The DT opposite the down block by the C will take the handoff before the G gets 3/4 into his trap step. It's a balanced formation, btw.

You never never never try to run an inside trap against any 1 technique. Your QB, RB, or both will get killed by a 300+ pound DT before they can even defend themselves.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You aren't going to have 2 1 techniques in a base 4-3 defense.

And if the non trapping guard gets a hand on him prior to working up, I could see it working.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  4. JayVols

Yeah the guard is going to wash him down enough to prevent him from bull rushing a wide open A gap AND still get to the next level to block the LB. Even if this was remotely possible, your mesh point between trapping guard and RB hitting the hole is blown the hell up. You realize a trap is an inside kick-out block ( the type of block you ridiculed last night given a different position and blocker yet same concept) and you want playside guard to wash him further inside making the trap that much more difficult? Your guards, QBs, and RBs hate you.

I said assume a 4-4.....**** it.

You. Dont. Trap. A. One. Technique.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

All the guard has to do is get a hand on him to slow him down long enough for the trap to get there.

The RB still hits the same spot. He doesn't need to know OL checks. Hell, the OL could check, having the center and play side guard wash the tackles down. Meanwhile, the other guard traps his opposite DE and the tackle works up. All kinds of ways to do it without the QB changing the entire play.

After talking to a guard on my team, I think you are underestimating the guard's speed in getting into the trap. Trap hits really tight (just the way kb likes it), so it's not like the guard has very far to go. Regardless, this is a conversation better had in person where we can draw shit up. It's too difficult to understand your setup just through Internet posts.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. JayVols

The center has to clear, the trapping guard has to open up in his trap step, cross over all while the DT gives an outside dip to the on/down block (DTs reads are on-down-trap) and at the very least is standing just across the LOS in the way of everything- G, QB, RB and all. There's just simply not enough space to trap a 1 technique. It's space/time continuum physics shit.

You're telling me you would just as soon trap weakside 1 technique as the strongside 3 technique? Look at the angles of the blocks. You are killed to the 1 technique side.

......S........M..........W
    .E........T...........T........E
    TE..T....G....C....G....T
    ..................QB

.................. RB

Edit:best I can do

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're telling me tackles in the 1 techniques, ends in the 3 techniques? That has to be the most retarded front on the face of the ****ing planet.

8. JayVols

Uh, check again. The weak DE's Outside tackle alignment is a 5....unless it's not translating from mobile to pc.

Draw a base 4-3 with a 3 & 1 technique Tackles, 5 technique weakside end and a headup to outside shade on TE for strongside DE. Mike is in strong A gap, Sam splitting DT DE distance in C gap on strongside and Will splitting weak side DT and DE in weak B gap.

If you can't see the disadvantages then, I can't make it any more plain.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Easy to say after you edit the post. Get that shit outta here. Plus earlier you said the front was mirrored, iirc.

Again, you're changing your tune.

10. JayVols

Then you started talking 4-3.

Damn it Indy. I tried it one way it didn't ****ing work. I edited it. I ****ing said I edited it...because it didn't show up on my phone correctly without adding the periods. It's a [dadgum] base 4-****ing 3. I'm not changing shit.

Here and before you accuse me of cheating, lying, or changing shit, slide the weak tackle to a 1 instead of a weak shade.

[​IMG]

11. JayVols

[​IMG]

Btw here's an actual photo of the "dumbest ****ing front you've ever seen" with a 3 technique DE.........

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I said that about the mirrored front of two 1 techniques and two 3 techniques.

I will come back to this in the AM. I gotta focus on my paper. We will continue tomorrow. Cool?

13. JayVols

[​IMG]

Or use this front so I'm not trying to pull a slick one....

14. JayVols

We moved from that when you insisted there was no way you could get a double 1 technique front... (which I found a scheme with that very front drawn up). Fine. I've gotta work tomorrow anyway.

15. MWR

MWR Contributor

Looks like you boys are going to have to suit up and run a few plays.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Age could have an effect on how often. I'm just saying.

17. JayVols

Go on....

Edit: I'm slow. Was up late last night arguing with someone.

A bag of prunes/day will help with that.

18. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Thread title should be changed to "football knowledge [penis] measuring contest" but I'm not complaining. I'm learning a lot about defensive schemes.

19. JayVols

Appropriate, imo.

20. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Hard schemes, or soft schemes?