POLITICS Theresa May out as PM.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, May 24, 2019.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We get jury duty from our driver's license here. So I registered to vote the next cycle. I throw my jury duty crap in the garbage

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

But Wyoming doesn't get as many electoral votes as California

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It still has a significantly smaller number of voters per electoral vote than does California or a number of other states.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I always thought electoral college votes were based the population of the state, and that's why the census was so important. But I could, and probably am, be making that up

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You aren't making it up. However, there is a limit to the number of representatives in the House (435) and each state is guaranteed one, plus 2 senators. So, every state gets a minimum of 3. The limitations with the required number create the imbalance.

kmf600 likes this.
  6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Winner take all created the biggest discrepancy between the popular vote and the electoral results in 2016.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I used to be pro electoral college, but the arguments for it have fallen apart for me.

1. “One person, one vote” just makes sense to me. We’re all voting for the same president and our votes should all be weighted equally.
    2. The electoral college seems to be doing less to protect small states and more to dramatically increase the influence of a few midwestern states. I want our politicians fighting for votes everywhere, not just trying to swing a few thousand voters in Ohio, Michigan, and Pennsylvania.
    3. Under the current system, ballots cast by democrats in red states and republicans in blue states may as well go in the trash.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Around 2015 or 16 I had a thread on rank order voting. It seems like a good way to get results more reflective of the mainstream rather having a tug of war.

tvolsfan and JudgmentVol like this.
  9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Right on time.

upload_2019-8-1_23-40-35.png

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Time will tell if Johnson will be good for the UK, but his election has already increased support for Scottish independence.

11. cpninja

cpninja Member

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

1. A general election may be Johnson’s best chance for a hard Brexit. He won’t have a popular vote majority for another Brexit referendum, but he may have one in the House of Commons if he can come to some sort of agreement with Nigel Farage.
    2. Brexit won’t lead to the breakup of the EU, but it may lead to the breakup of the UK.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

oh, this absolutely sets up the hard brexit. done and done. because the remainers are split across two uncooperative parties. now it just remains to see what the consequences will be.

tvolsfan likes this.
  14. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don't have any idea how parliament works.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm starting to think it may be more incompetent than the US system.

16. CardinalVol

So I have barely kept up with this, but do I understand correctly that if there is a hard brexit and they just say "goodbye" that they will basically have no trade agreements and treaties with these countries of the EU?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

correct, so far as I understand it.

18. CardinalVol

That seems........................dumb.

19. CardinalVol

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

there are effectively 3 positions, all in the minority. hard leave, soft leave, and stay. Soft leave teamed up with hard leave for awhile, began splintering, and now is enjoying temporary common cause with stay. but the end result will be an election in which the two parties for which there are stay members will not coalition together and a party who is dedicated solely to hard leave is cooperating to not run against the leave party who just transitioned from semi hard leave to full hard leave... so that's that.

simultaneously, a majority want to leave and a majority don't want a hard Brexit. but it is looking like it is hard or stay.