POLITICS Theresa May out as PM.

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Savage Orange, May 24, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

labour and lib dems keep splitting their votes

2. cpninja

cpninja Member

So after this vote it's full steam ahead on Brexit, which also is shaping up to mean Indyref2 for Scotland and possibly even a push in Northern Ireland for reunification. Gonna be a wild decade for the United Kingdom.

tvolsfan and NorrisAlan like this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think the actual sentiment on Brexit is still quite close (In fact, I think remain would probably win in a direct vote now), but there was a genuine distaste for Jeremy Corbyn which contributed to the landslide and his immediate resignation. Going to be a wild ride on the British Isles for a while.

tvolsfan likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Good for them.

Hopefully it works out

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Wouldn’t they have still lost, had the votes of each been combined?

The UK clearly wants out of the EU, and now they will get it, enormously, needlessly and stupidly difficult of a process as it’s been.

Brussels had best hope that it ends there, although I don’t suspect that it will, and that others may soon follow suit. The UK signing a trade deal with the US (spoiler - this is happening) may only further compel others to question if they could do the same, and whether their surrendering some portion of their national sovereignty has been, and remains to be, truly worth it.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

No

Yes

No

7. Tenacious D

They can squawk and stamp all day long, but I don’t believe that there will be an Indyref2 for the duration of Johnson’s 5-year term, at a minimum.

They just voted to remain in the UK, and recently, fully aware of the very real possibility of Brexit. The UK is leaving the EU, and Scotland with it, absent Boris just handing back last night’s landslide victory.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The bold is inaccurate. They were under the impression that leaving the UK would hurt their status of remaining in the EU.

My guess is Sturgeon uses the next 5 years to rile up support for Scottish independence and demands a referendum as a condition for supporting a future Labour government.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Imagine the hypocrisy of wanting Britain to leave the EU but for Scotland not to get to leave the UK.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Scotland people should be free to vote on leaving the UK, if they wish to do so.

cpninja likes this.
  11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The relationship between the UK and it’s constituent countries (excluding England) is not like the relationship between the USA and the individual states. If Scotland truly wishes to leave, they will eventually be given the opportunity to do so.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Also, it’s worth noting that Northern Ireland does not need permission from London to leave the UK. I’m not sure they want to, though.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I struggle to understand the desire to break things up. We are stronger together than we are apart, in general.

But I guess it is the tribal nature of humanity that we don't want someone more than 50 miles away having any kind of say in what we do.

Was Lincoln wrong?

15. Tenacious D

They just voted. On this exact thing. Recently.

What’s the shelf-life on an election IYO, IP?

Wait, let me ask the best question...

What’s the shelf life on election results where you like / prefer / agree with the outcome vs those which you do not like / prefer / agree with?

I’ll make two bets with you:
    1. You’ll say they’re the exact same.

2. The vast majority (90%+) of those here, and who read your saying that, will find it to be laughably unbelievable.

16. Tenacious D

I guess it depends, NA.

Can you and I respect the differences between us and still be friends, do business together, live next to each other, agree to help and defend each other in time of need...but without my having to give you some ownership or dominion over my property and home, and without my being required to cede my authority to self-determine how I raise my kids, how I spend and invest my money, and how to best screw my wife...or without fear that you’ll assume the authority of screwing her for me, instead?

I think you err in assuming that it’s somehow impossible to have a close, productive and mutually beneficial relationship while still living in separate and autonomously controlled houses.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Forced togetherness doesn’t make either side stronger.

warhammer likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

I don’t understand.

The draft gives you more men, and that’s better than having fewer men, right?

I should be happy for you to forcibly take $100 from my wallet if it’s for something good and that you want but could not otherwise afford to buy, like feeding your kids, buying a puppy or investing in a handful of scratch off tickets.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I love people are back on this creating economic ruin in the uk even though there is almost no basis for this opinion. This is said like it’s fact too and not up for debate.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

but but but the brits don’t really want this!!!