Third Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by warhammer, Oct 22, 2012.

1. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I've read all the threads.. You guys make some validated points and then some are just lost in translation. I just don't get Romney's plan for our economy, he keeps saying it will take him six to eight years to fix it himself. He still hasn't laid out any realistic ideas or a factual plan that will work.. he acts like were beneath him and should just trust him to blindly fix our country. My family is about to have to lose more of my paycheck do to the Bush tax cuts getting ready to expire. And I'm going to put us back in the AMT again because of my overtime..... Our countries exports are way down and imports are still low... I don't care about eithers religious beliefs..except I still think Barry..Barak is a Muslim and is hiding it. I want to go back to school but we can't afford it..I am still undecided!

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

A muslim can't eat pork. A muslim can't drink. He had a damn beer summit. his wife shows off her whole (huge) arms. I've known a whole hell of a lot of muslims. Obama isn't a muslim.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Sinner.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not sure why being a Muslim would disqualify him anyway, other than the fact that Muslims seem to be the last legitimate group to discriminate against these days for a sizable portion of the population. People throw out "he's a Muslim" without any follow up, thinking identifying him as such is enough, which I always find odd. I suppose, though, Keith Ellison is just biding his time before he straps some C-4 to his body and runs into the Capitol Building, so maybe they have a point about those dirty Muslims, who are likely headquartered in Murfreesboro.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I should have clarified. I wasn't meaning he actually said he was sorry for America's actions, but I think it's fair political game the characterization that Romney is using.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Says the voice of objectivity.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh right, that is your sole domain. He didn't apologize for shit. That's a fact.

8. Unimane

Eh, not really, it's a pretty low cheap shot and mischaracterization of his speeches. The gist of his speeches were more like "Hey, we've both done some bad stuff in the past, so let's move on and create a better future." The only reason people threw out the apology tour stuff is (1) it's Obama and anything he says (for some) is contrived to be some America-hating utterance and (2) some people equate anything acknowledging something (or "apologizing") as less than perfect in America as anti-American. Obama went abroad to bring a better image and relationship of America with these countries and succeeded, for the most part. Perceptions of America are much better throughout the world than they were 4 years ago.

The funny thing is that I don't really think it's Romney's style to accuse Obama of an "apology tour". I think it came with the nomination that he had to do certain things to placate an element of the party and this was one of those things. It's a cheap talking point that resonates with a lot of conservatives about Obama and so he needs to scratch that itch.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

"The gist of his speeches were more like "Hey, we've both done some bad stuff in the past, so let's move on and create a better future." "

"We've done some bad stuff" doesn't sound like an apology? Why mention it at all if we have nothing to apologize for? Now you could argue it was a half ass apology i guess.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He's pretty clearly said he is going to lower taxes for the middle class and lower small business taxes and eliminate loopholes for high earners. that's not a plan? You can argue as to whether it's a good one or not, but it is a plan.

11. Unimane

I was paraphrasing, but it's not like we're squeaky clean in terms of world affairs. Regardless, one can acknowledge some negative things in the past without begging forgiveness and use it to demonstrate a need to forge ahead. Besides, even if one construed that as an apology, a stretch, it was such a small part of the overall speech that it really negates the idea of this as an "apology tour".

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No we aren't clean, but going around rehashing it at least sends the message it's some sort of apology. Even before he got elected obama indicated a key part of "healing" our image in the middle east was telling them all the things we did wrong. Personally, I think that region sees that type of behavior as weak. I would not expect similar treatment if the situation got reversed. See the bin laden living in palestine.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know the region doesn't see that as an apology. They just saw it as starting fresh.

If I told a woman "we both messed up. Let's try and move forward," in no universe would that be considered an apology.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This is the problem. THe core of obama campaign has been this class warfare. Saying the rich don't pay enough. the rich don't deserve being rich, the rich are a major source of the countries current problems. If you were a rich business owner would you really believe this man has your back? IF they look at it logically they might realize that obama wont go crazy with tax increases, but are you going to REALLY believe that until the proof is in the pudding?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He said both the US and the middle east messed up? I haven't seen it. If you said "i messed up. Let's try and move forward," that would be considered an apology.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then never let your wife go.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I apologize to my wife all the time.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ha! Well, I think we are at an impasse. We don't seem to have a common concept of what an apology looks like. Go figure.

19. Unimane

If you want to characterize the remarks as an apology, then so be it. Regardless, your parsing of the concept is far different than the whirlwind grovel-fest as described and inferred from the so-called "apology tour" moniker.