This is gonna get weird.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Pretty sure they just used the excuse to change course after the backlash to TCU being #7 last week.

We’re in the top five, two teams we beat are in the top ten, two teams above us play each other, and one team above us is a 7-point underdog this week. All in all, not a bad spot.

2. AbeFroman

AbeFroman Member

I knew we would be behind TCU due to their record. I fully expected to fall behind Oregon and potentially USC due to momentum which has historically always (?) played a part even if it's denied...maybe I'm just old. Did not expect LSU at 7 due to their overall record.

But, this is the second time I've even paid -any- attention at all to the playoff rankings.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

TCU ain’t winning out. If you had told me in August we’d be sitting at #5 in the CFP rankings come mid November I would have shit my pants with excitement. We are fine y’all

4. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Yeah I don’t think TCU goes undefeated and I don’t think Oregon finishes with just 1 loss.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

TCU loses this weekend anyway

ole_orange likes this.
  6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Bingo, all we need to do is handle our business and throw in some style points.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

TCU 3-TD statement win incoming.

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Can’t believe I’m actually going to cheer for the University of Texas. Hook’em baby! Vince Young/ Matthew Mcconaughey for President 2024! (I gagged typing that)

9. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

This talk of our loss to UGA and Oregon’s loss to UGA being the same is so painfully idiotic and such a transparent attempt to cause a little more drama that it’s making my head hurt.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Just so everyone knows:

Tennessee:
    • Top 25 wins against LSU (#7) on the road, Alabama (#9), and Kentucky (#24). 2 were blowouts.
    • Only loss to Georgia (#1) on the road.
    TCU:
    • Top 25 win against Kansas State (#19) at home
    Kansas State:
    • Entered the top 25 after beating then #6 Oklahoma, who is currently unranked.
    • Shot up the rankings to #13 after beating then #9, Oklahoma State, who is currently unranked.
    • No wins against current top 25 teams.
    Let that sink in. Undefeated TCU has 1 win against top 25 teams. It was a 10 point win at home against the #19 team in the country, and that #19 team has not beaten a single team currently ranked.

Duckman likes this.
  11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

USC is #8 despite 0 wins over current Top 25 teams.

As much shit as we want to talk about Clemson, they've at least beaten current #16, NC State, and current #23, Florida State.

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, Notre Dame at #20 further cements that we need to root for Ohio State to beat Michigan. Notre Dame could win out and find themselves back in the top 15, giving people another reason to put 1-loss OSU in the playoff (as if they needed reasons).

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

TCU has a better SOS and SOR than Michigan. The reason they're not ranked 3 is brand power.

justingroves likes this.
  14. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I don't think it's going to be an anti-Tennessee thing like some people are already screaming but anti-SEC. There is severe SEC fatigue out there and this is the year where they will figure out a way to keep out two SEC teams if possible. It wouldn't have mattered who the other SEC team was it just sucks that it's us. But we lost the game against UGA and put ourselves in this predicament. I've been saying they'll take the Pac 12 champ at 1 loss over us and definitely an undefeated TCU. That puts us out right there no matter what other scenarios play out. And a 1 loss ACC champion IMO will jump UT. And I also feel like that if UGA, the Michigan/OSU winner, and TCU are all undefeated they are definitely in. Even if the ACC and Pac 12 each have two loss conference champs then you worry about a very close matchup between Michigan and OSU. This would be the year they'd put in two Big 10 teams and say, "look, we don't just do that with SEC teams."

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Michigan has a blowout win over #14 Penn State. That's a better win than anything on TCU's resume.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Nah, it’s style points. TCU keeps having to come back after knocking out the opposing QB. Michigan just bludgeons you with the run game until you give up.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Certainly part of it, but the Pikachu faces about why TCU is ranked ahead is interesting. TCU has a better resume but no one has an issue with Michigan ranked ahead.

I don't see how they manage an undefeated season but no one should be surprised with the top 6. It was pretty much set once Clemson lost.

10SEvols likes this.
  18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm all for "control what you can control," but I hate this line of thinking - as if we did something wrong.

We've played 3 teams in the top 9, including the #1 overall team, and we have a 2-1 record against them.
    • Georgia has played 2
    • OSU has played 0
    • Michigan has played 0
    • TCU has played 0
    • Oregon has played 1 (lost by 46)
    • LSU has played 2 (and also played #11)
    • USC has played 0
    • Bama has played 2
    • Clemson has played 0
    This idea that we should have to go 3-0 against top 9 teams in order to make the playoff while everyone else can get away without playing any is just ridiculous. If TCU goes undefeated, there's a good chance they do it without a single opponent who finishes in the Top 15.

19. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Being behind tcu is dumb but it doesn’t matter. If they had kept winning they would’ve deserved to jump us eventually due to their upcoming schedule. They’re about to lose 2 straight and should allow us to slide to 3 after Mich/OSU.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Are you one of the people who has me blocked?

Michigan has a blowout win against #14 Penn State. TCU's best win is a 10 point win over #19 KState.

That's a big reason Michigan is ahead of TCU, in addition to what TV said.