Three Major Problems with this class

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by chavisut, Feb 1, 2012.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Pittman is a John Blake protege. That should tell you what to expect.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not complaining about the WRs Tennessee took. All 4 look to be really good prospects. I just wish they could have pulled in an OL or two.

3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Could have gotten Ben Still out of Memphis early on. Dad was a stellar player here. Kid wanted to be a Vol. Family was unhappy with way TN handled situation from what I heard.

Needs a RS year, but could have been a serviceable G or C at worst during his career. And given that MUS has some nice prospects in the pipeline for the next several years, it would have made for a good presence at the school.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

No need to have taken project OL this year. If it wasn't someone that would start or contribute immediately, a la Humphries, there were other needs to be addressed first. JMO.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Since we signed a full class and didn't have any room.....

Since we're so "loaded" at OL like some think, this would have been a great year to take a project to RS. Most OL aren't ready to contribute immediately anyways.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Wow, I just discovered where all the negavols went. Looks like a crew that couldn't stomach the group-think at VN. The LB debacle is an abject failure. Still yet the team should win 10 games next year. Anything less than 9 is coaching malpractice and a fireable offense.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Welcome to our humble home A-Smith.

Check it out and stay a while.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Though I disagree; Welcome!

9. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I make it a point to never be too negative on signing day. I want to enjoy it damn it. What I got from Dooley yesterday was more of the same. We have moved from the excuse of youth and inexperience to blaming the new recruiting rules and the barbershop. Signing 21 with unmet needs at OL and LB has the distinct smell of someone that is learning on the job. I wish I felt differently about it...but I don't.

The class isn't bad, just incomplete.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like that. Not bad, but incomplete. That captures it perfectly.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Thanks, Voldad and CardinalVol. Good to see some of the old names. I've disagreed with many of you guys on several occasions. I post as WesternKyVol on Volnation, but changed usernames as I haven't lived in Ky in in 2 yrs now. I just don't like being called a troll or a person who roots for another just for espousing another view. The jerks at VN right now are the most intolerant bunch of kool-aid drinkers you can imagine right now.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, we know. Welcome. Folks will disagree with you, but you won't be accused of not being a "true fan" or any of that bullshit.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I think the o-lines problem last year was more scheme than anything. In the Vandy game, when we ran plays out the pistol that were just basic run plays, dives, powers, weak, strong, they seemed to be able to come off and block ok. When they tried to play scheme is when they had problems imo.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Welcome

15. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The O-line did not need much help. NO Freshman other then someone like Humphries was going to come here and play at all. I would of liked one OL guy. They wanted a couple C types and some elites it did not pan out. They were not about to take someone they know is not going to play here just to say they took an Olinemen. I think people are piling it on when they need not add more. The lack of an elite LB in a class that allowed for a pretty good LB to get playing time is failure enough.

5-7 that is the issue...the only thing that matters now is winning. Other analysis can happen after Dooley wins games. If he loses it is over and we start anew.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Yeah, they've never done that.

17. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

They have done it. That is why there is no more need for that type. Roster is full of these types. We only need to take guys who can play in the SEC. We are in a much better place roster wise then where we were 2 years ago. It is night and day. Now we have to win.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

1. Agree. I think you take 2 in every class min. This year they could have zeroed in on 5 or 6 and took the best 2 of that group they could get.
    2. LBs - Santos was bad luck. If he is from Oklahoma he sticks with Tennessee even if Texas offers late. Peters is just one of those things that happens when your where we are. If we kept both of those we would have had a solid LB class.
    3. I think DD has figured out that the clock is ticking and he took the DLs that he thinks can get on the field now and make a difference. Im not opposed to what he did with the JUCOs. If he is here next year, he can look more toward the FR DLs.

If he would have pulled Santos, Peters, and Kirven he would have had a top 10 type class that filled the holes pretty well. Would have been an A- IMO. I would go with a B- after the dust settles.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

A-Smith is a very generic name. Clearly not a true fan. Pisses me off.

20. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

With hindsight being 20/20, I'm sure they would have liked to take a couple OL to fill out the class when Santos/Peters fell through. According to Patrick Brown, they were still trying to flip Andrew Jelks as late as Tuesday night. Disregarding the open slots, I don't think there would have been a recruit in this class besides Bullock that I'd have replaced with a project OL recruit. Now, if we're talking D.J. Humphries or someone of that nature, totally new ballgame. There would be a number of recruits I'd have taken him over.