TN Governor Evolution Bill

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 3, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And thread just went full circle!

2. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

5.14 you use "form" in place of "from"

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Kind of a random question/thought etc: Would you (I guess IP or anyone else for that matter) agree that throughout mankind (especially before written communication) there is a tradition over seemingly all cultures of: creation, history, events, stories etc being passed down from generation to generation orally?

Are there cultures where there are stories of human evolution being passed down orally from generation to generation? I honestly have no clue which is why I am asking.

It seems to me that however many years ago when humans were evolving from what we were to what we are that process would have not happened at the same rate all over the world, meaning the evolution process would have been slower and faster in some areas.

Would there not have been some more advanced "humans" that could speak versus others that we still in an earlier stage of the evolution process?

Would that not have been part of many cultures oral history or does that evidence exist?

Keep in mind I took one required "science" class in college so I am ignorant in this area.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

1. What law?

2. What law?

3. What law?

4. That doesn't sound good.

5. How do you dictate thought? I don't know the law; I haven't read it, and I don't care to. I simply stated that Arizona should be able to determine which programs it offers. You seem to think that this is absurd and that you and the benevolent overseers in our central government should determine what programs Arizona should offer. I disagree.

Unnumbered last sentence. That doesn't sound like the right conclusion to me. It also sounds, as I originally stated, that you have federalism confused with not-federalism.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Highly unlikely. There would have been side by side evolution, with other homo variants, but that would have been well before oral tradition. And, saving an immediate reproductive isolation event, the sapiens (us) would have still been intermingled with their common ancestors, breeding with them in some cases, and continuing to simply exist. Nothing more. But after generations and generations, eventually we bred them out, or entered a reproductive isolation event and forked the lineage, leaving whatever once was a common ancestor to either remain on a single path, die out or evolve to something new.

But we wouldn't have recorded it, because, individuals do not evolve. It isn't like one day Jethro was out as an ape, and then the next day, Jethro was a human. It is the progeny that get the change, and then pass the change on, so that the population as a whole evolves. Those within the population might not notice the change at all. Unless they were really, really... really old. But various populations changing more rapidly than others, well... there is that in oral tradition. It is called the day some assholes with weapons murdered we poor farmers and took our women.

We get a bit too caught up in this concept of step-wise evolution, whereas A->B->C, but that isn't exactly what happens, it is more like tree, with a ton of branches, that fork here and there and stop in other places.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the example used wasn't a coincidence :)

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And where is it that AA Studies is about what white people have done to them? And, don't throw the personal history red herring out there. What we're clearly referring to is an identity, the history of that identity. It's been clearly important throughout American history to identify people as black or Hispanic, yet, when it comes time to examine that identity (and there are parts that don't reflect as positively on whites as they'd like), then that identity doesn't matter. It's a cognitive disconnect that you want to exploit in order to avoid some hard facts of history.

And, you can call BS all you want or say that I require them to think like me, it doesn't mean a [uck fay]ing thing if you are wrong and don't have any idea what the [uck fay] you are talking about. However, if you want to deny institutional racism, talk to some black guys some time about their interactions with the police, then get back to me if they match yours. You can [itch bay] about it all you want, it doesn't mean the make believe colorblind world you live in fits with reality.

Otherwise, you have no [uck fay]ing clue as to how I teach my class and, instead, cling to your bullshit notions of this universal "Hate Whitey" curriculum that you have created in your mind even though I linked the material taught.

9. CardinalVol

I do have one question that I cannot wrap my mind around, two actually.

1. Why did we supposedly turn from asexual to sexual creatures?

2. It seems to me to do this, a male and female would have to occur at the same time and figure this out at the same time. How is this explained?

I'm seriously asking this. This is one of the biggest ideas of evolution from the standpoint that we all came from a single organism that I cannot wrap my mind around.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Thanks, I was confused. I thought it happened overnight.

11. CardinalVol

Uni in class -

[video=youtube;KKN6JJYIWWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKN6JJYIWWY[/video]

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[video=youtube;SkWeMvrNiOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWeMvrNiOM[/video]

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

do i need to post your curriculum? what % of the stuff listed doesn't involve discrimination by whitey and the response to it? where's the george washington carver section or any non civil rights leader section? there are parts of history that don't reflect well on hispanics or black people too. are you discussing that history in your class?

once again. big gap between colorblind world and every white person is racist and doesnt' even know it. i got harrased by the police REGURALLY when i was a teenager. not only that i occasionally get a bad seat at a restuarant or have someone be rude to me or don't get a job i want. The question is what % of that happens is because of race. you are the one defining blacks by race, not me.

once again. you linked your material. please show me the material that isn't about white people's explotation of black people. link it.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

What's funny is that Chris Farley is the only famous person from where I grew up in rural SW Wisconsin. I do less cocaine, though.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So only 3 eight balls a day?

16. fl0at_

Again, you are thinking step-wise. As in, one organism had to do something... twice. But that isn't so.

Let us elaborate clonal expansion:

Organism A is a quasi asexual organism. It has a spontaneous mutation in a gene coding for reproduction, where it can no longer self-fertilize itself. It can, however, still be fertilized by other organisms. These exist, in nature, and can either self-fertilize or fertilize from other individuals of the same species.

Well, this organism has kids, friggen lots of them. We'll say this was a highly heritable mutation, and thus half of the kids got the mutation, where they couldn't self-fertilize, and half didn't. The half that didn't have a survival ratio unique to themselves, they are after all, very nearly clones. 25% of them die from recessive disorders. Meanwhile, the 50% that can't self-reproduce get fertilized by other organisms. Again, 50% of the offspring get that trait, 25% of the ones without die.

After a few generations, the former asexual organism is now a sexual organism, and it has outproduced its parent, common ancestor, and there are more of them. It has, evolved, thanks to natural selection. And now you have a new species, that requires sexual reproduction (by which I mean, it requires genetic material from two different individuals).

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jeff Goldblum was much easier to understand

18. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Sounds made up.

19. fl0at_

There are examples in nature. This is simply an extrapolation, reduced to something, I hoped, would be easy enough to understand.

For some reason, I want to say cauliflower exhibited a similar event, but I may be very wrong there. It just keeps popping in my mind, and I don't remember why.

20. CardinalVol

Thank you. I can follow that, even if Goldblum was easier to understand.