Tobacco

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Beechervol, Sep 15, 2011.

1. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Interesting. I ask because I wonder how often that is sort of passed down to the kids.

My parents more or less threatened violence against me if I ever touched any sort of tobacco... as they were lighting up cigarettes (Mom) and dipping a can a day (Dad). Mom did however quit smoking eight years ago, and Dad has quit dipping several times until he started again a couple days later.

Dad's mom smoked pretty much her whole life until the mid-60s when her doctor told her it was killing her (shocker)... so she started dipping and did until she died in 2003 from emphysema. /tid's family's tobacco use history

2. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

i have a spat in right now....i'd quit if it wasn't so damn good.

3. WM

WM Active Member

Has anyone tried Swedish Snus yet?
    Yeah, that was a fun thread.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

can't say i really understand the allure, expect the addiction part that is. i now have only one friend who smokes and i believe he just quit. rarely see anyone with chew. that's california for ya i guess.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm pretty certain I'll have mouth or esophageal cancer by the time I'm in my late 30s, even if I stop for good today. Dipped too much at a time for too long and too often.

My grandfather died of lung cancer, but only he and my grandmother and myself are the only tobacco users in my family, both mother and father side. I started dipping because everyone on the golf team dipped, and coach didn't care. And it has continued every since, except for occasional days, weeks or, at the longest thus far, 11 months when I stop.

For a while, I traded dip for cigars, but that is no better.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I wanted to order up some of the Swedish snus, because it is supposed to be less terrible health wise, but never did. Lazy.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have been dipping/chewing for 31 years. I don't want to quit even though I know that I should. I have been forced to give up too much stuff I enjoy already. I think I'll hang on to this one.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Smokey Mountain is decent as far as being similar in texture. Its as much as snuff tho.

9. JayVols

I told this story on TOOS, but a recap:

I used back-off mixing with tobacco.
    I had basically quit when my wife went into labor.
    Had complications, rushed for a c-section.
    Bro-in-law gave me a dip in the weak moment.
    Been back on it since.

10. egotistical

egotistical New Member

My dad and little brother both dip as well. It's a family tradition.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

y'all get stoned and sing all night long, by chance?

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Not a habit I'm particularly proud of having, but I use Skoal.

Kid is starting to notice, and I think that is going to finally inspire me to quit.

13. JayVols

Just let them take a swig from your 'drink' can. They'll never want to dip.

I don't think I will need to worry. I have girls, but you never know. I get to worry about something entirely different.

14. egotistical

egotistical New Member

Haven't been disowned yet.

15. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

so you quit for about 3 hours??

16. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

float,

how much would you say you dip a day, and when you have a dip how long do you keep it in?

17. JayVols

Cliff notes version. I quit for about 3 weeks. She was in labor 20+ hours. A man can only take so much verbal abuse before he cracks regardless the situation.

18. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

i'm a stone wall....but only when i have a dip in...ha ha

19. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

and Float, don't leave out any details. These type of stories are like penthouse forums to Mania

20. egotistical

egotistical New Member

If he's smart, he pays about 2.30 for Grizzly.