POLITICS Trump in 2020

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 2, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That assumes the original position was well thought out.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Oh thanks smartest guy in the room. Of course Trump is Trump. He is one of the worst human beings you will encounter and has no business being the most powerful man in the free world. I also think that he is just worse at politics (more transparent) than many in DC who are similarly as crooked as him.

The thing is, sans immigration (and my opinion on it is less idealistic than it once was), I basically agree with Trump on the substance of every issue. I consider abortion a heinous evil, and I like his judges. I like that his instinct is more dove-like than his predecessors. I think dropping drones on poor people in Pakistan was wicked. I also think that there are very few objectives int his world worth American soldiers dying over. World War 2 was the last. I wish the defense budget was smaller. The economy was fine. If Trump were say, JD Vance, he would probably be my favorite President of my lifetime based on policies. As it is, his personality makes him ineffective and completely toxic to the national culture/dialogue, but I was willing to live with that given the positives. So all of this was my thinking 3 months ago.

But I personally had not lived through anything like covid 19, so to see his self-centered press conferences, lack of big picture thinking, ad hoc /shifting/unstrategic directions juxtaposed with the gravity of the moment has been jarring-even though I should have been able to imagine it. If you want to argue that I should have been able to perfectly foresee what life would be like if something like this happened that's fine. I wasn't, and so the calculus has changed.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm kind of shocked that you think Trump is doing something different in terms of drone policy. Civilian casualties are up, actually. And he specifically relaxed rules designed to minimize them.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I had not heard that. All the news I watch (Morning Joe mostly) trots out a bunch of former Bush/Reagan neo-cons and interventionalists criticising Trump for retreating and America losing its standing. Thanks for letting me know about that. Another reason not to vote for him.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't take my word for it, if you look around you'll see discussions on upticks in civilian casualties in Afghanistan and Africa for sure, but also in relation to supporting the conflict in Yemen. That was Obama's biggest failure, was Yemen, imo.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

7. Tenacious D

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's the only show on that network i'll watch. he comes off full of himself, but at least occasionally has something interesting to say

Tenacious D likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's awful, because he fundamentally factually incorrect very often.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm sorry that something had to affect you personally in order for you to see at all.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He is consistent. I like him.

12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He already has with setting up the SCOTUS for the foreseeable future.

13. Tenacious D

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is good. We don't need to waste time and resources on more stupid political bs.

justingroves likes this.
  16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My personal situation has zero to do with it. I’m an introvert working from home with plenty of time to read and exercise and play with my kids. Never been happier, if it weren’t for all the suffering I see on my screen.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You think you can intuit something about my motives/ character almost every time we interact. Not sure why you do it. You’re almost always wrong though.

18. Tenacious D

19. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Does this help or hurt trump in TN? (Assuming it's true and/or the ruling isn't reversed) Or does it even matter, trump wins TN regardless?

*If you can't see the tweet it says: "BREAKING: A judge just ruled that every Tennessee voter can now vote by mail for the 2020 elections."
    -posted by ACLU

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Trump would have to be filmed kicking a dog to death while burning the Bible to not win Tennessee.