Trump's Biggest Pivot of All

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 4, 2017.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is just a half-assed theory, with no basis in fact. Purely a thought exercise, and which is neither intended to endorse or condemn Trump, or the un/soundness of such a move.

What if Trump tires of trying to work with the GOP, and runs for reelection as an Independent? As a pragmatist, it certainly makes sense to be untethered from either Party.

Better - what if he forms his own Party?

There is already talk of his reaching across the aisle to get some of his agenda done, because there simply isn't enough support within the GOP. Some already allege and believe that Trump isn't a Republican at all, and others who say that the GOP-controlled Congress has no desire to enact his agenda - and that's on things that a majority of rank-and-file Republicans actually want (the wall, lower taxes, addressing the deficit, etc.) and doesn't include the most "liberal" and looking things that he wants, but the GOP has no intention of helping him with, but will actually be hostile toward (paid maternity leave, personal tax reform, etc.)

How would Democrats react to this - surely, wouldn't they be entirely welcoming of it?

How might the GOP react? Well, like Bernie to the Dems, Trump would always be more friendly to the GOP, but not strictly beholden to them. But even if he remained a "friendly", the GOP would hate this, for sure, perhaps only because they'd lost any chance to have exclusive access (control?) to him. But what are they going to do, otherwise? Turn the relationship openly hostile?

Then no longer a Republican:
    Trump couldn't have access to GOP money....but neither did he have it in 2016.
    The GOP would run someone against him in 2020.....but who, and that he hasn't already soundly beaten?
    Trump wouldn't get the Party-line vote of the GOP.....but he got less GOP votes than Romney (Gawd!), and still won....and how many GOPers would follow Trump and leave with him?

Some other random tidbits to consider:
    There are now more Independents than either Republicans or Democrats
    The rock star in the White House, and who has increasingly gained significant influence with Trump, has been Gary Cohn, head of the NEC, and who is also a lifelong Democrat and easily the most liberal person amongst his advisors

There are several other angles, but for now, is this possible?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What does he gain from doing it? I think his only chance of winning would be as a republican. Way too many people held their noses and voted for him.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

For the record, paid maternity leave is complete crap.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Horseshit.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No way he runs again. He will be 74 and is already tired of DC.

But this cat has proved me wrong time and time again.

6. NorrisAlan

Why?

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He's not only running again, but has said so (as recently as a few days ago, during an interview, IIRC), and has already filed to do so.

8. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Because it is wrong? If the employer wants to give maternal leave as a benefit, so be it, but it shouldn't be mandated.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think Trump will probably run again, but three years in Washington is a long time. I don't think it's a 100% certainty, at all. He wouldn't be the first to change his mind and the stresses for him are certainly piling up.

10. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

To Tenny's theory, obviously the gatekeepers in DC from both parties have been given orders to not work with Trump. They have also tried to co-opt him and have been somewhat successful.

Look what is happening with Fox News. They didn't properly babysit the right and now they are paying for it. Measures are being taken to ensure this doesn't happen again and of course the left is all too willing to play along.

11. NorrisAlan

Should companies be forced to put safety measures inside their buildings?

Should they be forced to only allow drivers work so long before taking breaks, etc?

Stuff is forced on people and companies all of the time. it is part of living in a community, a civilization.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pretty easy for a man to say.

13. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Word on the street is McMaster, who is a real piece of shit, is on the outs. This needs to happen sooner rather than later. This will be a huge help as McMaster is working against Trump. Also Dina Powell and her rumored side piece Globalist Gary Cohn need to be sent packing. I still say firing Flynn was by far the dumbest and most self inflicting wound Trump made so far.

14. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Not the same.

15. NorrisAlan

How so?

EDIT:

And I will make my argument that they are similar. All are for safety and well being of the employees and others.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  16. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I am being discriminated against, I should get equal paternal time off.

17. NorrisAlan

And that is a fair argument.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Poor you.

Talk to me you're responsible for giving birth to a child and essentially being its sole lifeline for the first 4-6 months of its life.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sort of.

I don't have kids, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what goes into raising one, but from my perspective it's far harder to be a mom to an infant than a dad to an infant.

In fact, being a mom in general is harder than being a dad, not that either is easy.

20. NorrisAlan

I took two weeks off with each of my kids.

After those two weeks, I was BEGGING to go back to work. Not going to lie.