Update on a few recruits

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by lylsmorr, Aug 1, 2012.

1. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

The Larry Finch Center on campus is a state of the art facility that several NBA players workout in and play pickup games during the offseason. We had a chance to build an on campus basketball facility and had the funding available. However, we chose to embark with the city on the pyramid (mistake). The Forum is a huge recruiting tool and having the finch center on campus very much suffices.

As for football, that's a totally different monster. Most football players don't grow up hoping football Is their way out of the hood and shoe contracts. These kids see dollar signs. Football requires kids to stay in school for three years whereas basketball is a much quicker out for them.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was specifically responding to a Memphis fan criticizing TENNESSEE'S arena and facilities, when Memphis DOE NOT HAVE AN ARENA. You're renting the damn thing. I never weighed in on the value of Memphis' use of an arena utilized by an NBA team. Clear that sand from your vagina.

There is absolutely nothing sub-par about UT's facilities. I challenge anyone to make specific claims as to how that would be the case. Otherwise, I'll chalk it up to sour grapes over trying so hard to be elite and watching another school who viewed the sport as an after-thought for decades manage to stay within stride and even beat the Tigers head to head on regular occasion.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Been in the Finch and at Pratt. Finch is nice, but Pratt is on another level. Two Memphis fans with me agreed.

FedEx Forum is great, but TBA is on par after the latest renovations.

4. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I can agree with all of that. Havent been on TBA since the new renovations bu heard they did a good job making it up to date with technology. PRatt is better than the Finch as well but I was referencing the fact that we have a state of the art facility on campus just not an arena we play games in. FedEx Forum is excellent and yes we rent it. Some of the things that the Forum offers that some of you might not think about is that NBA coaches and players are always there. You dont think it makes a huge difference for a kid aspiring to play in the NBA to go into the Grizzlies locker room on a recruiting visit and look around? Shake hands and sit with the NBA guys that come to the games (usually about 2-3 a night if they are off and in town)? What about playing pickup games with NBA stars? Chris Paul gave instructions at a practice a few years ago. All I was saying is that playing in an NBA arena has a huge upside with very little downside. You think these inner city kids give two shits who owns the FedEx Forum? I doubt it.

5. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

6. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Consensus seems to be that J3 and Hubbs are Vol leans with Nichols on the fence.

B. Quinn, Rob Lewis, and Memphis and GTown people all seem to think J3 is Zo's to lose. He will be here for UF on an official.

Hubbs' recruitment is still quiet, but Tennessee seems to be in good shape with his OV coming up in 10 days.

Nichols' recruitment seems to be more of a show with a lot of different factors. Tennessee right there with UVA, AU, Duke, and possibly Memphis. Plans to be here for Bama.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly how good are these three? I haven't looked into bball recruiting much, but all 3 are ranked in the top 50 on rivals, 2 of them in the top 20... Seems like it would be a pretty legit class. Thoughts from someone who knows more?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It would be better than any single Pearl class if we got all 3, imo.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How do they compare to past talents? Is it likely that any of them will be a Stokes/Harris caliber player?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Probably not any single one of them are equal to that. But together, they would be more than equal.

11. volwarrior33

volwarrior33 Member

Hubbs would be the best pure scorer we've signed in recent memory. He can score the rock as well as anybody in the entire class. J3's stock is falling, still top 50 but a major tweener. Nichols the most skilled big man in the class.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Thanks for the info VW

13. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

All three of those guys have the potential to be contributors immediately. Nichols is pimping some schools that the ppl around him want him to like Memphis n UVA. Hubbs has recently been interested in Memphis more than before but ut is still the leader.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Following recruiting is torture. I can't imagine what it would feel like to actually be a coach recruiting elite talent.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Once again, per Galilee

"Heard that Oct. 20 could seal the deal CCM Can close with a bang"

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Very nice.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Cuonzo isn't finished. He's trying to get back in on Schuyler Rimmer.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Does that surprise you based on your thoughts the other day, hat?

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not really. Good centers are hard to find and you always assume a little roster attrition.

20. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

We will see. I think Galilee is knows people, but he takes a lot of stabs in the dark and play to his own agenda sometimes. Too many people with their source on Nichols and they all contradict depending on the fan base.