US Air Force: combat lasers in 7 years

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 27, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sweet. And the sharks?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

With the stuff the navy is rolling out, sharks are freaking obsolete. I'll take my chances playing hide-and-seek in the open water with a shark over any single US navy ship with bad intentions. I am not a "rah rah" military guy. I think we have reached a point of fetishizing the military. There's no denying that the US military is entering yet another level of power though.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

[video=youtube;Bh7bYNAHXxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw[/video]

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This. When will this become reality?

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

When we get serious about defending this country, that's when.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

When can I put one on my Chevy.

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The problem is the US (and really much of the world rather they want to admit it or not) has always fetishized advancement of technology and power. Be it through space, lasers, drones, exoskeletal suits, whatever.

Everyone sees those as the first real step to what we grew up with be it Star Wars or the MAC gun from Halo.

And don't forget a whole mess of critical and useful civilian tech came from government, thought not all for military applications, research (internet, GPS, freeze drying, computers). Obviously, computers had to be redesigned on a personal basis, much of the R&D was done by the US Government and a big defense contractor at the time with IBM.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I'm excited about the rail gun and laser weapon stuff in terms for what it means for dealing with incoming asteroids and such.

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Makes me wanna break out my 64

[​IMG]

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

May be a problem but the U.S. has been a front leader on many fronts of technology due to military spending. I wouldn't call that a problem.

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I don't find it a problem but too much emphasis on military advancement and not enough on cultural/intellectual advancement is. Kind of like how the world needs engineers but not everyone can be one. The world needs cooks, musicians, teachers, etc. Too much focus on one discipline and it's folly.

14. kidbourbon

That's a stretch. It started from Alan Turing's brain. The fact that he was working with the military (not US) when it came from his brain is merely evidence that military employment was plentiful during WW2.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Agree. Needs both.

16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

You could pretty much make that argument for most complicated inventions, though. ENIAC displayed, in material, the fundamentals behind Turing's work. And you can't sell folks like Zuse and Babbage short.

Mostly, the big role that ENIAC had was (with the IBM funded Harvard Mark I) showing IBM the feasibility of computers and launching an already giant industrial leader behind electronics. That was more-so where I was going. From the mid-40s and on it was the US that was leading the charge with the advancement of computers.

17. kidbourbon

The physical implementation of the Turing Machine in usable form was inevitable. Well, it was inevitable after the invention of the transistor*. We don't give the construction company credit for The Guggenheim.

*Most important invention in the history of the world

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

ooooooh. I will go with the axle and wheel, and maybe the screw (no, not that screw).

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Tesla's contributions are in consideration as well. AC and induction motor are pretty huge.

20. kidbourbon

Both are solid entries. But I will stick with my pick.