US Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jun 18, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why do you think we aren't paying people $20 mil a year? Because we don't give a shit about the sport. What's your argument exactly? We wouldn't be elite at it if we gave a shit?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So you are just trolling me for the sake of it. Confirms my suspicions.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

See how annoying it is? You should take notes.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Holy shit. No. That's not my argument. I'm not even arguing. If America cared about soccer like other countries did for as long they have, we would be kicking ass and taking names. Our passion for the sport is almost in an infancy compared to the rest of the world.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'll do my best

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Ok so we agree. So what is your point exactly?

7. GahLee

Jesus. So we essentially agree and you you still ask me my point?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

We'll you do SEEM to be disagreeing with me no?

9. GahLee

I said my piece. That's it. That's what I believe as someone who follows soccer every four years. After seeing some shows and doing some reading here recently, it's beyond apparent why smaller countries can kick our nuts in, they're predisposed to loving soccer and if they are good at a young age they're shipped off to soccer boarding school. It's just different.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hahaha, out of 200 + teams we are consistently one of the top 32 sides. Often top 16. Despite half-assing it. Ya, we're just wretched. Tell me more about US soccer, droski.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You think that's good?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

You thought it was a moment ago for rugby.

Boom.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no I said rugby and soccer were about the same.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I read it as the "the same as curling," given that "half a dozen teams" even notice curling. Using that as a base (and it is your words), we are only in the top 33% of teams that care about curling. That seems a lot worse than being in the top 10 % of teams in soccer.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You read it wrong. Among the elite is not 20th by any measure. I'll try to be clearer in the future.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

And the size of the field has no bearing on that at all, huh?

Don't worry about being clearer. This really isn't an interesting or productive discussion. You can pass down your soccer knowledge to whoever you think you can find that will value it.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

tallest midget situation no? how many countries have the population and resources to legitimately compete internationally in soccer? By your theory Baylor or Dayton is "elite" in college basketball.

strange we weren't even invited to the under 17 world cup. http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/ where are all these superstars coming from that are going to make us relevant in a generation?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you saying that is what is necessary to rise? How come African nations have not won a world cup, yet consistently dominate the u-17 and other youth world cups, genius?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm asking for some evidence that this change is coming. My generation was playing soccer in mass as kids. I remember stories then about how this was going to create a revolution in soccer in this country that never happened. The question is your prediction wishful thinking because you like the sport or reality?

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it is more real this time than say in the 70s or the 90s when the last "revolutions" were going to happen. The time is ripe, with football, imho, about to take a hit on its popularity, baseball is also no where near as popular among the young people, and more coverage on TV. EPL on NBC, WC, etc.

MLS really needs to get a good TV package (not money wise, just get themselves on TV more).

But, it could just be another wish by its supporters.