US Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jun 18, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are a lot of players who favorite sports arent' the ones the ended up playing. the market forces that exist today will exist 20 years from now as well. that isn't to say I don't believe soccer wont become more popular over time. it's obviously more popular than say 20 years ago among adults. I just don't see it becoming a top 4 sport in this country or one that will attract enough talent to win world cups.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

MLS in itself is evidence. No such thing existed in "your generation". It is what it is, league-wise, but it's not going away.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

WNBA didn't exist either. Or arena league football. We are a rich country.

4. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Moms thinks it is a safe and a way to keep kids active. Participation drops drastically when the kids are old enough to decide which sport they want to play. Who doesnt want to play baseball, football, or basketball when it is on tv 365?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a personal prediction. I'm not trying to lay down prophecy. But the trajectory of the last 20 years is pretty strong. The changes in youth development are significant. And not that I am not predicting a world cup win any time soon, just that we will actually legitimately be in the conversation for one.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

What are the top 4 going to be in 20 years if soccer isn't one of them?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Also, the way the game is announced now is far different. They do not explain things anymore. Also, coverage is far different, no more "You just have to get it! Watch it, it is cool!" and more "Did you see that shot?"

There was a piece on CNNSi.com after Donovan's goal in 2010 saying how things have changed because the fans understood what was going on. The "YEEAH awwww YEAAAHHHH!!!!!!!! USA USA USA" during and after the goal that was seen on every single footage of people watching the game. People knew how big it was, and got it.

Will this equate to Brazilian levels of fanaticism or levels of excellence? No, but already we are no longer a pushover like we were in '98. It is more popular than ever, and will continue to get popular.

Oh, and how many supporters flew/drove to Brazil for this WC from the USA? From what I have heard, it is by far the largest contingent of fans from any visiting nation.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

same as today. football, basketball, baseball, and hockey.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Were we any less rich when the NASL folded? Would the WNBA exist without NBA training wheels?

10. Low Country Vol

We had the the North American Soccer League played in NFL stadiums which had Pele as its poster boy for the league as a player for the Cosmos. It folded after 10 or so years do to finances. MLS was smart to play in smaller capacity stadiums.

11. Tar Volon

I don't think that's what the top four is today. I think soccer is bigger than hockey in America. And I say this as an NHL season ticket holder, so this isn't anti-hockey bias or anything.

I kinda expect soccer to overtake baseball too, although it hasn't yet.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm seeing an improvement mostly driven by everything being televised these days. You couldn't want EPL games 20 years ago even if you wanted to. I haven't seen any indication it's improved to any more than a fringe, once every 4 years, sport in this country.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The 90s was a revolution and it got us today, beyond the snickering "communist kickball" stage. Now, we have people actually following the sport and knowledgeable about players, kids wearing jerseys, etc.

14. Unimane

The youth tournaments are a pretty poor guage of the future national team. Most of them don't make it to the regular team. If the youth tournaments were an indicator, Mexico would be dominating the sport now.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the NHL has a slight lead, but soccer is gaining very quickly and could pass them in an inarguable way in the next 5 years.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right, as would Africa. That is what I am saying. He brought up the US not being in the U-17 world cup, as if that meant anything at all.

17. Tar Volon

NHL has a lead on MLS, but I'm not sure hockey has an edge on soccer. I could be wrong though.

18. Unimane

Since when is the demarcation line between giving a shit and being totally indifferent $20 million?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

In the US, I think it does. And I say that thinking of places like the upper midwest, the northeast, Colorado, Alaska, etc. There is no equivalent "soccer belt" in the US, though one might be forming from Minnesota on down toward Missouri and Kansas.

20. Low Country Vol

15,000 people in a 20,000 seat stadium is a success for MLS. 15,000 in a 100,000 arena is an embarrassment and negative perception such as the NASL of the 80s. A salary cap of 2.8 million helps maintain financial security per team. However, over the last few years the league has allowed clubs to spend more money on certain “designated players” such as David Beckham.