Vandy Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

UF was 7/9 on 3rd downs at one point and qb was 17/20. Sampson didn’t get in the game. Some terrible drive killing penalties and 4 horrible calls that cost us or gave them 1st downs.
    Bunch of stuff went on in that game besides the int. Think we’d usually take 290 yds and 2 tds in the Swamp behind a below average center calling protections.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Milton was God awful for 3 quarters in Gainesville

PilotFlyingJ and utvol0427 like this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Sampson thing was definitely frustrating. I'd be interested to see how the defense would have done had we been able to put together some scoring drives and kept them off the field for a bit.

justingroves likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

About 160 of those yards came late in the 2nd half. Milton was bad the majority of this season

TDVol1989 and utvol0427 like this.
  5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also, Hadden deserves as much blame for the UF loss as Milton. He had the single worst defensive play I've ever seen on the long TD run.

6. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Next year is going to be fun. Give these receivers another year to develop. Keep as many linemen as you can and hit the portal.

Nico has to be the best QB prospect Heupel has ever had, and we’ve seen him make Drew Lock a 2nd round draft pick. Idk why we had to suffer through so much Joe this season (I trust hubbs but friends I also trust inside the program have insisted that the parents didn’t want Nico to play. Not sure who to believe there).

All of our predictions before the season were 8-4ish. This is what we expected. Did some of us expect Joe to be better? Sure. But he’s a football succubus and we still went 8-4 despite him and the defense. We’re going to [uck fay] up a bunch of teams days next year and it’s gonna be fun and sexy again.

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Moore went through senior day, they wanted him to get a chance. Of all the things to [itch bay] about, this is the dumbest.

Keyton and Squirrel were his receivers to start his first drive

SetVol13 likes this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This offense was never going to be great, but Milton made it significantly worse than what it could have been. We'll never know if Nico could have been the answer or not this year, but Milton being our best option in year 3 falls squarely on Heupel's shoulders.

Memtownvol likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

They had the ball 38 minutes that game. Believe it was another game we had only 3 or 4 possessions the first half.

10. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I hoped Webb would be big-time player but hasn't shown much. I think we can upgrade on him and Nimrod. But Squirrel/Bru/Thornton are a solid 3. No one elite in that group though.

Volsdude likes this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Isn't Bru leaving?

12. Ssmiff

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Then at least let him have 4th down as well. The fg was stupid. It almost just looked to me like he didn’t want Nico to go out there and look good so he could justify sticking with Joe.

The point is that Nico didn’t have the keys to the offense. And it’s just really a shame. Peyton’s freshman year was an absolute goldmine for recruiting

TDVol1989 likes this.
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah this definitely is true. Then we ended up missing him when he got hurt.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do think not giving up that long run totally changes that game.

16. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I think you get back to stressing the middle of the field with RPOs and seam routes. Get some drives longer than 3 plays at our tempo to gas the defense mentally/physically and you start seeing those guys make more plays. I’m not saying they’re studs, but another year of development in a system that fits the whole offense as opposed to just the QB makes things easier for everyone.

Memtownvol and HotlantaVol like this.
  17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Mertz was something like 15 of 17 in the first half. We weren't stopping shit that night.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I feel like a big problem with this team is that as soon as shit starts to go just a little bit sideways, they fold and it snowballs from there. Zero fight in this team and they always seem like they are waiting on the first thing to go wrong.

19. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

I’ll be shocked if Mike Matthews isn’t a factor as a freshman. He’s going to be really good.

20. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

On the road (Lexington excluded), I agree. I think the home environment generally helped, but the road really seems to have gotten in their heads. We turned one mistake into six, all season.

InVolNerable likes this.