Vandy Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So heupel pulled Nico because he didn’t want him to look good which would make Heupel look bad?
    Goodness. Lol.

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Butch and Dooley both looked like imbeciles after refusing to play their best QB.

3. Ssmiff

Has nothing to do with them. The comment was made that Heupel didn’t want to look bad so he didn’t play nico. Asinine. If that’s what people think about our current HC, I don’t know what to say really. Kinda has a little narcissism to it.

VOLinDAWGland and IP like this.
  4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The simple answer without reading minds is that he had an agreement with Nico and family and thought, based on what he seeing, that Milton was the best option for this set of circumstances: Reward loyalty; locker room cohesion; a good example for recruiting; issues with oline. Heupel is playing the long game. Maybe Nico gets us one more win, maybe, would it have been worth it?

Poppa T, Memtownvol and IP like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

One more win? No, that would not be worth one more win. I can respect that we are trying to do things a particular way.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I understand why Dooley didn't start Bray immediately, he let Simms take an ass whipping until the oline got some experience.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think Heupel looks like a moron for not starting Nico even if Nico wins the Heisman next year. If there was a plan, there was a plan. If the family wanted him to get bigger, so be it.

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

There were too many deficiencies on this team for a Freshman QB to have much incremental positive impact. I'm encouraged that we're [itch bay]ing about an 8-4 season. Our expectations are rising.

Memtownvol, SetVol13, Poppa T and 2 others like this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I guess I don’t really think that. I just can’t really figure it out. I don’t want to believe Heupel is an idiot. Not playing such a talent was just a huge strategic blunder.

I don’t get the narcissism comment. Did you mean neuroticism?

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Peyton finished 7-4 in 1994 but that was a very successful season for the future of the program. The 1995 recruiting class was amazing

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Idk. I’m repeating myself. Heupel messed this up. His dynamic capabiltiy is his ability to develop QBs. He’s worth keeping for that but I don’t really trust his judgement anymore. At least not as much as I did

12. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I think we'll be fine on offense. I'm anxious to see how he handles the defensive side of the ball with staff changes.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Peyton started only because two qbs got hurt. He was never going to come in and play. He only played (and then split time) when the first two went down.

14. Ssmiff

Key word is “develop” yet you say he messed it up by not playing a true freshman that you’ve seen play 20 snaps of college ball. This is the development process. Development is done off the field to prep them to play. It isn’t throwing a true freshman out behind a battered OL when he hasn’t earned the spot. Talk about losing a locker room.

VOLinDAWGland and OneForVol like this.
  15. Ssmiff

Cut must’ve not known what he was doing or anything about qb development.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I know. But it helped. Colquitt was probably a good player though so that’s the major difference there

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Cut had Jerry Colquitt not Joe Milton.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And you should never listen to me, because I was a Brandon Stewart guy through and through.

19. Ssmiff

Not the best supporting point
    Jerry had 470 career yards and 5 tds
    Milton had 3000 yards and 30 tds in 1.5 seasons and almost Jerry’s career stats against Vandy saturday.

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

This recruiting class has a chance to finish top 10 with a top 5 blue chip ratio. Not saying it will, but it’s a good class. It’s not much different from Alabama’s when you look at the numbers.