Video: Escaping the Democrat Plantation

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don’t see why her race has any bearing on the points she makes in the video.

Should it?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

In light of what you saw regarding civil rights act, do you think her points are valid?

If used as a means to attempt to sway others because “it’s a black woman” saying it, rather than the standard historically inaccurate and kooky white guy, then yea, it matters.

JayVols likes this.
  3. Tenacious D

I don’t see the either the connection or the larger points you’re making in comparing this video to the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Outside of answering direct and repeated questions about it, I’ve not mentioned her race, honestly believing it to be of complete unimportance in weighing the merit, or lack thereof, and either in whole or in part, of what she’s saying.

I honestly don’t think it matters, or should, and don’t understand why anyone would want or insist that it does, at all.

I’m neither playing coyly silly nor setting up a terrible game of gotcha, here.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's a message specifically about black people voting for Democrats and using a black person to deliver the message, obviously done to assert some greater sense of legitimacy to the message. So, again, you feel this is a point of race and politics important enough that needs to be noted, yet try to play off the fact that you chose the messenger without regard to race because of some silly notion of color blindness. On one hand with the content of the video, you want race to matter considerably, then, in the other hand, you try and act shocked that people consider race to matter in the same manner. You may even feel that you have done this without regard to race, but, then again, you are not stupid enough to believe the messenger doesn't convey their own message as well just based upon who they are.

Regardless, the message was still addressed and disputed. Her rendering of the nature of politics and society lacked complete information, context and analysis. It's the same ham-fisted argument Republicans have been making for years.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    JayVols likes this.
  5. fl0at_

Not saying you, but there are some that would use this video to say the points are more valid, because the person making the points is black.

It’s like when people post videos or articles where “victims father speaks out against stricter gun control.”

It has no bearing on the argument, but because there is a personal stake, it is often used as of the argument then has more merit and weight.

And all arguments have a premise. If the premise is invalid, the argument is invalid.

Democrats in today’s political philosophy didn’t gerrymander southern districts, push for discrimination and it is today’s Republicans that more frequently cut public education; education being the main thing that advances any population.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pretty clear that Unimane and fl0at disapprove of her message because she is black. Sad.

NYY and justingroves like this.
  7. Unimane

Yeah, sure, otherwise, I would totally approve.

And, what's the argument? 95% of black people vote for Democrats and are "still on the plantation" or too uninformed or stupid to vote correctly?

JayVols likes this.
  8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's OK, I'm white.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not smart enough to tell anyone how they should vote, but I don't think it'd take too much self reflection to come to the conclusion that doesn't seem to be working.

10. Unimane

Liberals make the same argument about poor whites in Kansas and Mississippi. How's that working out for them?

11. Unimane

Whew, you're safe then.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Way better by almost every measure than blacks.

13. Unimane

Democrats certainly aren't winning much in those states.

And, it can be argued that black people have done worse under Republican presidents like Reagan and Bush, plus had their issues ignored more under Republicans. Point being, just because you perceive that other people should vote in a certain way to better their own interests doesn't mean you really understand why they vote in the manner they do. It's a lesson liberals have a tough time understanding in certain areas, as do conservatives.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I love when someone who doesn't fit inside a predefined and expected box speaks out in a 180 against what most in the box think. Because the new side makes them the new messiah and the people in and supporting the box vilify them to no end.

God I'm growing to hate American politics more and more by the day.

warhammer, Volst53, MWR and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tenacious D

The way God intended.

16. Tenacious D

I think that the difference is that 90+% of people of color don't support the GOP, and hence, don't expect anything (or very little) from them. But they do support the Dems in those numbers, and so consistently as to appear automatic (and I'm not sure that's not less accolades for the Dems, but a more damning indictment of the GOP, tbh).

One of the right's most common allegations is that Dems have not only failed to truly help people of color - particularly the black community - but that they are actually much worse off in many ways, as a result of what "help" they have given. I think that's a point this person is making in the video.

That being said, and understanding that there aren't enough legitimate caveats to make you believe that this is a sincere question, but here goes:
    Do the Dems support and help people of color in the same (or even nearly equal) measure that they enjoy and rely on their support from them?

Simply - what have Dems actually delivered, or will soon and actually deliver, specifically for people of color, to warrant such overwhelming support?

17. fl0at_

Your point seems to be a lot like:

Democrats have failed them, but at least Republicans haven't tried.

18. fl0at_

She's not being vilified is she? She's just not a poster child. And we can recognize that for a lot of those "outside the box," the only reason she gains traction is because she doesn't fit the mold in the first place, so make a poster child of her.

I'm sure someone somewhere is vilifying her, but is that the vibe you're getting from here?

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ms. Owens has been help up as both the next great thing by Republicans (and Kanye) and vilified by left-leaning folks on the twitter.com.

From here - no.

20. fl0at_

The left-leaning that are vilifying her would do so if she were a white male, yea? Safe to generalize?

Would she be held up by republicans (and kanye) if she were a white male?

If not, there's the disparate treatment. It's not politics--it's people.