VolNation Idiots

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zehr27, Sep 13, 2015.

1. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

This guy needs to put down the keyboard and seek help.

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

[uck fay] Phil Fulmer

VolDad likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Actually.............

1. Fulmer executed his coup
    2. Fulmer hired Pruitt
    3. Pruitt convinced Hooker to transfer here.

Thanks!!!!!!!

A-Smith and IP like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know why there is still a desire to look backwards, rather than live in the present and look to the future. We're on our way now. Eyes on the road!

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This is very silly, but I’m not gonna lie, we’ve been kicked in the nuts often enough that I’ve spent some time thinking about the possibility that we’re all horribly ahead of ourselves and Heupel isn’t all that (after reflection, I don’t see the Chizik/Orgeron “lightning in a bottle with a generational QB” option is realistic—Hooker isn’t Cam Newton, and Heupel’s game-planning is just too good. Think the worst case is a Malzahn-style “catch people off guard with a new offense but can’t really adjust when they figure it out.” And there’s plenty of room for better).

A-Smith likes this.
  6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think the key difference is the overwhelming volume of analysis on Cam Newton was he was basically a one-man wrecking crew. Everyone saw it was Cam doing it. Nobody that I saw even remotely approached praising Chizik or the Auburn staff. This is basically how most people saw Josh Dobbs and Jones/DeBord in 2015/2016. Bad OL, bad scheme and bad playcalling that was consistently overcome by outstanding individual efforts by Dobbs, Hurd, etc.

Everything I've seen on this offense has been praising Heupel and Golesh. "Schemed open" is a phrase I've heard a lot referencing why Hooker is making so many throws to wide open players.

I credit Hooker for his preparation and execution but his job is 10x easier because he consistently has a clean pocket in which to make throws to wide open WRs. We're also spreading the ball around a lot which is another point on coaching. They scheme Bru in some games and Hyatt in others. Even losing our #1 WR and projected 1st Round pick wasn't a thing at all.

Erik Ainge and Jayson Swain have both agreed with this analysis as well. It's mostly scheme/tempo/playcalling with Hooker nailing his part with making the right read and executing. Half of Hooker's job is also a credit to his coaching as a poorly coached player will struggle to make the right read.

Also I have seen a lot of Malzahn football thanks to being in the Bama market and most of his success was down to tempo and being one of the first to really slam people with an up-tempo RPO. He wasn't scheming people open and a lot of Auburn's wins in 2013 were more so due to the defense and not even the offense. A lot of sub 100 yard pass games.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Tar Volon likes this.
  7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I was told eyes were supposed to be on the thighs.

PilotFlyingJ and Memtownvol like this.
  8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hooker isn't getting WRs open by the gaggle. That is scheme, and that is all Heupel. And the two times we have seen Milton this year, he already looks better than he did last year.

I am confident that Heupel is not Chizik/Orgeron.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Even if Milton can't do it, I am guessing that Nico will be good at playing the quarterback position. Just a wild guess

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

My only concern is mostly that the real brains behind the operation is Golesh and he's responsible for a lot of the behind-the-scenes scouting and prep/scheming.

Not that I think this is the case given Heup's history, but this is the larger concern for me.

Tar Volon likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i saw somewhere that Alabama was the first staff to see this offense twice. wouldn’t say they’ve figured it out yet

12. Tar Volon

Doesn’t Pitt have the same defensive staff as last year?

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even if he were a chizik, a one off natty is way better than constant irrelevance

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Do we know who calls plays? Heup in his microphone with a play sheet in hand pretty often.
    3rd and 2 misdirection to Hyatt was another great playcall. I’ve said to myself “what a call” more the last 1.5 years than the previous 20.

15. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I was tempted to post over there but nah, so I'll just post this here again. The thread over there asks "Has Heupel surpassed Butch as the best post-Fulmer coach?". Yes he has and the proof....

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Well idk, maybe whoever forgot Pitt or meant SEC

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

AFAIK Heup calls plays but Golesh phones in suggestions?

Heup does make final playcalling decision though.

18. Tar Volon

I am loving all of the bespoke stats coming out this weekend, although this is one of the silliest, since we basically never played four ranked teams in the first six games. Even in 2013, when we played seven ranked teams (six in the top 11) in the first ten games, we only played three in the first six games. Last time we played four was 2005, when we played four top *six* teams in the first six games (and went 1-3)

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel got Drew Lock drafted in the first round. He's already successfully ran an offense in the SEC and the Big 12 before becoming a head coach.

Golesh is a good coach but everything offensively is ran by Heupel

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like you are kind of missing the point. It isn't about how often one has the opportunity to do it. It is that they did it and very few teams in a given year could. Very few.

A-Smith and InVolNerable like this.