Vols 12th in ESPN Power Index

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 26, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I know groves would prefer that we rank 1-128 by TOP, but gun to head I'd go with FPI. It's not actually that bad. And, in fact, it does the best job of ranking the bottom teams of all the rankings I tend to peruse.

ODU, Charlotte, EMU, Hipster Miami, UTEP, NMSU, and North Texas are the clear bottom 7. Biggie ups to FPI for getting the part that really matters right.*

And UT isn't actually *that* bad at football.

ESPN FPI: 12
    ESPN efficiency: 17
    F/+: 17
    FEI: 18
    Sagarin: 15
    Simple Rating System (SRS): 14

But whadda dem dag blasted aggariddems know about fubaw.

*I'm not being sarcastic, btw.

2. kidbourbon

It sounds from the description like FPI is basically a smarter version of SRS, in which case I support it as a general matter. SRS is a wonderfully elegant ranking system, and it comes up short only in the very area it prides itself; namely, its simplicity. FPI, FEI, F/+, etc. get more under the hood and that will be reflected at least to some extent in their prowess as a predictive tool.

3. kidbourbon

Any ranking system that isn't is useless.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So, Boise should have started the season #1 for about a six year stretch there? The system that determines the playoff participants should have more than that factored in.

But I suppose it really depends on the objective of the ranking. This one obviously isn't intended to decide the playoffs. And I'd say there really aren't more than 11 teams we couldn't beat. But we do have Butch, so that 11 jumps up much higher for me.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Do teams get ESPN FPI championship banners?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Iowa will get face ****ed by whatever team they face in the Big 10 championship. It tends to sort itself out.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Rings.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I fully expect Butch to parade the first ever ESPN FPI championship in Tennessee's history as a selling point this spring.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Rings are on order

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and did it with everyone, including next recruiting class, either injured or in utero.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Actually some of next years are early enrollees, and were born last month.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

post utero is cheating for a year 0 corch.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Go the class of '17 on ice in the break room mini fridge. Compliance says they got to move them off campus before the new year though. Dang NCAA and those impermissible benefits rules. Got to find some out-of-state surrogates to coach them up to full gestation too.

14. NorrisAlan

Oh, so now the NCAA is claiming keeping the embryos frozen in an on-campus freezer next to the Turtle Tracks is a "benefit"? Bastards.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

on that note, do we have a recruiting post where I can go see the names of those kids?

16. NorrisAlan

Travis Henry, Jr.
    Travis Henry, Jr.
    Travis Henry, Jr.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, as long as my inside source keeps packing a lunch, we are going to be at the front of all kroot knowledge from here on out.

Norris, some of this batch are a chimera of Travis Henry, Al Wilson, and a patented "Berry blend." A labeling mishap led to the loss of 2,000 recruits when they were mistaken for some sort of fruit popsicles, but with the new naming convention that seems to be worked out.

20. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

If this poll is correct, we should be #5 when the real poll comes out next week. Then by the end of the season, we'll be in the top 4 and will play for it all. It's in the math.