"VOLympics"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The various camps will see this in their own light, so I'll withhold any commentary.

From the article:
    "Coaches have selected two captains for each of 10 teams. On Wednesday, the captains will conduct what Jones described as an "NFL-style draft" to fill out each team with roughly 10 players.

Dubbed the "VOLympics," the event allows teams to amass points without scoring touchdowns or kicking field goals.

Here's how Jones laid out the scoring during one of his tour stops last week:

Players will gain points for things like acing a test, attending a Bible study session, volunteering in the community or generally behaving in a way that reflects well on the program.

Coach can take away points from players who do things like miss a study hall or dress sloppily. (Jones cited wearing a cap sideways or sagging pants as examples).

The winner is crowned at a Night of Champions event later in the spring."

I am interested to hear the thoughts on points being awarded for attending Bible study.

Jones is coming for you, IP. Fist first.

Link: In Butch Jones' 'VOLympics,' UT players will earn, lose points for actions away from field ยป govolsxtra.com Mobile

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Does sipping their tea (hot- not good Southern sweet tea mind you) with their pinkies extended function as a PAT? Think they will have Chamomile or Earl Grey tea vendors roaming around Neyland this Fall? Such an exciting time to be a Vol fan it is!!!!!

I'm all for demanding good citizenship and molding these guys into men, but dang, we aren't trying to win a spot in the Vienna Boy's Chior.

We've hired Emily Post and Amy Vanderbilt rolled into one.

I guess we'll see how this goes.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Fists up, butches.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Does anyone just show up and coach [dadgum] football anymore? I'm to the point where I hate almost all of the latest generation of college coaches. Nothing but bullshit PR gimmicks from every direction.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Let's wait and see.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I will only support this if there is a cardboard grid with names and gold stars representing points.

7. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

A HC is more of a politician than coach nowadays.

8. JayVols

You're my hero. Teach me.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I would be very interested in the draft order of this competition. Very interested.

10. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Only the 2 captains get punished if one of the teams messes up.

So I think this is less about molding ideal citizens and more about making certain players step up.

11. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

There's going to be a live blog covering the draft.

12. JayVols

If only there were ways of achieving this within the actual football environment.......

13. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I think the idea is that off the field interaction translates into on field interaction.

14. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

And given that time within the football environment is extremely limited, doesn't it seem like attempting cheesy stunts like this is worth it if it somewhat expedites the process?

15. JayVols

I can see how unbreakable bonds will be formed by making sure that hats are worn straight. I'm in.

16. JayVols

No.

I understand the bigger point you are making and agree. This is just an idiotic execution of what you are saying needs to happen.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i mean, it's cheesy, but whatever

18. JayVols

Fixed to reflect the goals of our new etiquettely correct coach and to do my part at climbing the mountain.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Whatever happened to the good old days when our Wild Boyz took off their shirts and posed in front of sports cars? That's some team-building right there.

20. JayVols

That was stupid too.