"We're not Tennessee. We're Vanderbilt." -- Aaron Hayden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TangoUniform, Nov 10, 2017.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

No one has mentioned one of the older greats - Stanley Morgan.

Great Tennessee backs have to include Hayden, Stewart, Garner, Cobb, Webb, Bryson, Lewis, Henry, Stephens, Graham and Houston in no particular order.

And I have to mention HOF member, All American, Bristolian - Beatie Feathers.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

No Arian Foster? Strange.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Started to add him, but just did not see it.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're right, but he had a hell of a stiff arm against Florida in 04

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hardesty was a badass because he had about 89 surgeries before the 09 season. He was a tough son of a [itch bay] that didn't quit. That's why I like Hardesty so much.

He doesn't blow a knee out in 2005 against Ole Miss, Arian Foster is career back up

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. Webb
    2. Lewis
    3. Henry
    4. Garner
    5. Cobb

And 3 through 5 are really dang close.

7. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Tony Thompson had a great senior year.

dc4utvols likes this.
  8. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

Yes, Stanley Morgan. He could do it all. My first exposure to Tennessee football at Neyland was watching him. I remember Hubert Simpson who came along later, showed flashes of greatness but couldn’t stay out of trouble off the field.

9. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I have been Cowboys fan since I was 10. I suffered through the Landry firing, the initial embarrassment of hiring Johnson from criminal U, and a 3-13 season. I think i will stay. Its not like Dooley does anything but fetch water for the WRs and HOF VFL Witten. He probably does their laundry too and gives consultations on hair product.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Garner couldn’t play with Stephens or Cobb.

NYY and dc4utvols like this.
  11. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Mose Phillips. I have wracked my brain for the past three hours trying to remember that guys name.

12. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

I was never impressed with Houston, Riggs, or Davis. I just haven't been impressed with any of them since Stephens and Henry left and up until Hurd and Kamara.

I was 7 when Morgan was a senior. The first player I ever took note of by name was Jimmy Streeter. You had to listen to most games back then and with him being QB, Ward said his name all the time.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Riggs nor Davis had any vision.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

One of my all time favorite Vol players. I wouldn't put him in top ten backs as far as talent, but he is in the top ten as to heart. He took a screen pass to the house to turn the tide of momentum to beat Florida. I loved his self description, "I'm like my ole '65 Dodge, not pretty, but it gets the job done."

Savage Orange and dc4utvols like this.
  15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Completely disagree. Look at yards per carry. Garner bests then all in that.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  16. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Yep that’s pretty much it.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Oh. Stats are the story. Without a screen passing game, there isn’t a coach on earth that takes Garner over Cobb. Cobb was big and fast. Moved well. Garner limited in how he can play.

dc4utvols likes this.
  18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I just liked Reggie more for preference reasons. But Garner was legit.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Garner is way better than Stephens. I don't remember Cobb very well so not as sure. Garner was a better pro than either by a considerable sight. Garner was the one I wanted to be like as a kid.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Garner was juco too, iirc. Only had 2 years of college coaching